drank Momoko by Lupicia

Thank you for the great sample and the funny Christmas card, History Laced. It really brightened up my day! Lupicia is a place that would have otherwise been off my radar if not for you!

The dry leaves of Momoko smell near the same as fuzzy peaches: sour and peach-like with a dash of vanilla. Already we are off to a good start; I do not pass up fuzzy peaches. Steeped, the wet leaves gain a salty seaweed scent that is not unpleasant and not as overly present in the liquor. Isn’t that usually a characteristic of Sencha?

The green is more astringently vegetal than buttery mellow to start but it picks up more of those latter qualities near the finish and as it cools down. It starts strongly green that transitions down into sour, then sweet, vanilla peach.Ten minutes later and it’s almost all creamy soft peaches with a floral streak. There are some very subtle notes of sour and salt that creep in too.

Sipping this makes me think of sandy beaches, sun tan lotion, and tropical fruits. It’s amazing it can transport me somewhere like that when frosty patches of snow on the ground are visible from my window.

This is the first time I’ve had peach tea with a green base. Peaches are usually one of my least favourite fruits in yoghurt, juice drinks, etc. but I’ve loved almost all the peach infused teas that have stumbled my way!

ashmanra

Peach yoghurt literally makes me gag! But I love Gurmans’s peach green tea called Madame Butterfly.

Comments

ashmanra

Currently looking for the most buttery and sweet green oolong I can find.

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

86-90: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

BC, Lower Mainland