Western Style. I should stop drinking tea at 2AM. School habits die hard.

First sip: It tastes like solid ordinary green oolong to me. although, I shouldn’t say that, as technically I have only tasted ONE straight oolong up to this point.

Second sip: Whoa! Did my Dad take some of the butter that he had just melted for the popcorn and dump some into my teacup? It’s extremely buttery, and there’s something like honey but softer and more floral. After experiencing that I went and double-checked the online write up of this tea and it mentions honeysuckle notes? I don’t remember what honeysuckle tastes like but maybe that’s what it is.

I’m still unsure how to describe oolong but soft buttered spinach sort of covers this one. I’m also getting something “freshening” mid sip and in the aftertaste. Apparently there is also a cinnamon note but my dead tongue only gets a hint of it if I take a gigantic mouthful and imagine hard enough.. It’s dominantly sweet butter.

Second Steep: Consistently tastes like the first steep. Buttery body and a sweet finish. The brothy “texture” continues to be thick like melted butter too.

Wow! I honestly bought this for the inclusion of “sparrow” in the tea name. I wasn’t anticipating much- I definitely wasn’t expecting to love it on first steep. I guess I’m a sucker for butter, cream, or anything that so much as mentions birds. This is definitely as delicate and mellow as a “sparrow’s tongue” and the small, scrunched up dry leaves further painted that image too. I checked Butiki’s website and apparently this tea is on sale for 33% off until January 18th. I may have to take advantage of that next week.

ashmanra

Your description reminds me of Bird Pick Tea and Herb’s Premium Silky Green, one of my favorite oolongs. My son won’t drink it because he says it tastes so much like melted butter that his brain won’t let him believe it is good for him!

hmmm maybe i should try this one.

CrowKettle

Ashmanra, that sounds amazing! I wish they shipped internationally. Maybe I’ll get the chance to visit a retail store if/when I head down the coast (international tea tour)!

Cavocorax

That sounds really good. I’ve never bought any Butiki teas, but am considering it!

Nicole

I love buttery oolongs, I’m discovering lately. Perhaps I need to evaluate if I need enough from Butiki to justify making an order…

Fjellrev

Yum. And I can totally relate on drinking tea late at night. Such a hard habit to break.

Butiki Teas

Sil-I don’t think this one is for you. Its on the greener side for an oolong.

CrowKettle

It is a very green oolong.. It’s funny that, although I saw a picture before purchasing, “sparrow” makes me think brown. Alas..

stacy – i know..i just feel like i need to keep trying them lol

Butiki Teas

CrowKettle-Sparrow definitely makes me think of brown. The name comes from the shape of the leaves. Apparently they are shaped like a sparrow’s tongue.

Sil-Hahaha. Well, it never hurts to try a new tea. Maybe one day your tastes will change and you will suddenly enjoy green oolongs.

Cavocorax

Well that’s that! I just made my first Butiki order, even though I don’t really have the money for it, thanks to your review. :p But there were just too many tempting teas!

Also, I have 0 willpower after 2am.

CrowKettle

Oh.. I feel strangely responsible. I hope you like them (if you don’t I’ll swap)! What did you pick out?

Cavocorax

Sparrow Tongue, 3 Friends (sounds interesting, it’s on sale AND it has a tin), Creamy Eggnog, Raspberry Truffle and Ceylon.

And I’ll keep your offer in mind, but based on the ratings and comments, I’m sure these will be quite hit! :D

CrowKettle

Those sound great. Everyone’s been raving about the Creamy Eggnog, and I’ve been meaning to pick some up too. :)

Comments

ashmanra

hmmm maybe i should try this one.

Nicole

Fjellrev

Butiki Teas

Sil-I don’t think this one is for you. Its on the greener side for an oolong.

stacy – i know..i just feel like i need to keep trying them lol

Cavocorax

Also, I have 0 willpower after 2am.

CrowKettle

White teas, roasted/fired green teas, and the not so roasted green oolong varieties are my favourites. I enjoy the odd shu puerh too.

Currently looking for the most buttery and sweet green oolong I can find.

Ingredients/flavours I enjoy (in moderation): anise, butter, caramel, cedar, cream, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, lemon, lilac, lime, maple, marshmallow leaves, melon, mint, orchid, pine, rice, rose, vanilla.

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

86-90: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

BC, Lower Mainland