drank Matcha Matsu by DAVIDsTEA

I picked up some matcha to experiment with after Sil pointed me towards a great deal at Red Leaf. I’ve never made matcha myself but I enjoy the flavour of it in other food and beverages I’ve come across.

This is freaking delicious, in a smooth grassy way, but I failed so hard at making it. Taste is good, consistent and thick, no clumps, but also no froth. Today is going to be dedicated to whisking, sifting, and measuring abilities, my dear tea companions.. >.<

180 °F / 82 °C

haha sounds like a productive use of your time. I still suck at the froth part of whisking matcha.

Fjellrev

DId you end up making a Red Leaf order? I’m almost finished my Caramel, but if you still want to try it, I can always leave some. :)

BoxerMama

Did you sift? Your water is too hot as well. I usually prepare mine around 70 C.

CrowKettle

OK! I have the sifting, temperature, and whisking mostly down now, but I’m still working on the water to powder ratio. I think this is becoming one of my favourite beverages despite my sad attempts!

I ended up placing an order at Red Leaf and picked up “5+2 free” with 50% off (I couldn’t resist). I think I chose a few that are off the beaten track but I felt like this was a good time to order things I wouldn’t otherwise. I’m still up for sharing teas though, Incendiare; I’ve too much tea to possibly finish before it goes stale.

Fjellrev

Ha! Well, I’m happy that you made an order. And I know what you mean. I have so much to finish and can’t justify getting more (says the person who just made her first Verdant order earlier tonight, ugh) yet I still want to try more.

CrowKettle

I keep telling myself I won’t order anymore tea online and then Verdant releases something new or gives me a deal. I’m not doing very will with my goals.

BoxerMama

I’m the same way. I wont say out loud that I wont order anymore, just in case there’s a really good deal! lol

Comments

Favourite Flavours/Ingredients:

-Vanilla, Maple, Caramel, Cream, Toffee, Nougat, Marzipan
-All Citrus: Lime, Grapefruit, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Yuzu
-Anise, but not licorice
-Ginger or Clove-forward chai
-Rosemary
-Grass/Marine/Vegetal/Nutty Green teas
-Florals: Rose, Lavender, Jasmine…
-Musky and/or Woody Incense-like stuff: Sandalwood, Frankincense, Eucalyptus
-Berries: Blackberry, Raspberry, Currants, Blueberry, Elderberry
-Bananas, and most fruits actually.

Less Preferred Flavours/Ingredients:

-Stevia and most sweetners
-Cinnamon-forward chai/blends
-Apple & Cranberries
-Mango pieces (love mango outside of tea though)
-Coconut pieces (as a sub/filler ingredient)
-Metallic or overly artificial teas
-Cocoa Nibs, 95% of the time.

Subjective Rating System 3.0:

90-100: My absolute favourite tea. I’ll impulsively buy in large quantities and hoard like a dragon.

85-89: A favourite tea. I’ll try to keep this one around when it’s practical.

76-84: A good tea, but not one I’m likely to order again.

70-75: Alright, but I may have a few problems with quality, consistency, ingredient chemistry and/or personal preferences.

50-69: Average to mediocre cup.

11-49: Varying levels of undrinkable tea. I don’t give a lot of these ratings out, since I tend to grab tea I know will appeal to me.

1-10: Nightmare tea from the chaos realms. This tea is the embodiment of the primordial swamp, the unholy abomination that is a chimera. It’s very gross and I’m almost positive it doesn’t exist.

BC, Canada