Awkward back story! This tea wasn’t originally a part of my initial online order. One of the random teas I’d selected was out of stock, and someone from New Mexico Co. phoned to inform me about that during the Christmas season. She offered to substitute in a similar tea instead… and I replied by telling her she could pick whatever she wanted and I could just find out when they emailed the adjusted receipt. Clearly I need to work on my early morning phone call skills. Decisions were made that I was happy to have no part in, and this chocolate rooibos found its way into my possession.

I actually like this rooibos a lot. I’m not always a fan of chocolate, or rooibos, but I’m happy with both here. The leaves have a chocolate liquor smell and the flavour is like that of rich dark chocolate bar with fruit and nut notes. At least for me, this one isn’t cloying in anyway, despite the cocoa and vanilla, which makes it easy to drink later in the evening.

Edit: for non-rooibos fans,you can definitely taste the base in this one.

I’m glad this one came my way! Now I just need to figure out if I want more or not.

Fjellrev

Wow, that really worked out. Is the rooibos quite prominent?

CrowKettle

It blends nicely with the chocolate but it’s there, unfortunately. I think a lot of the fruitiness from this blend is due to the rooibos.

Comments

Fjellrev

Wow, that really worked out. Is the rooibos quite prominent?

CrowKettle

White teas, roasted/fired green teas, and the not so roasted green oolong varieties are my favourites. I enjoy the odd shu puerh too.

Currently looking for the most buttery and sweet green oolong I can find.

Ingredients/flavours I enjoy (in moderation): anise, butter, caramel, cedar, cream, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, lemon, lilac, lime, maple, marshmallow leaves, melon, mint, orchid, pine, rice, rose, vanilla.

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

86-90: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

BC, Lower Mainland