drank Caramel Matcha by Red Leaf Tea

The Caramel Matcha experience began with the ceremonial “opening of the packet”. Upon completion of this holy act the entire basement in which this vessel dwells was flooded with a divine overpowering scent. Mere mortals were never meant to be privy to such a force. Ever.

Usually my roommate thinks I’m cheesy and overdramatic but she’s with me on this one, guys. She asked me if a cake exploded in the kitchen. I never thought robust would be so… robust.

The aroma makes me think a little of alcohol and the richest caramel laced dessert known to man. No big deal. I have no experience in preparing matcha with milk but I decided to experiment this evening a whisked some warm milk in. It tastes like the stuff of lattes. Very sweet and creamy.

My roommate suggested I use some Hazelnut Bailey’s and then dumped in a “lid” amount in (maybe too much). It sure accentuates the caramel and doubles the sweetness.

Likely hood of addiction to this is staggeringly high. The smell reminds me of Christmas for some reason (although that doesn’t say much as lots of things remind CrowKettle of Christmas).

Thank you Sil for helping me make my first Red Leaf purchase!

175 °F / 79 °C
Fjellrev

Yay, I’m glad you got your order! Last fall, I was obsessed with mixing Biscotti-flavoured Bailey’s with this and the French Vanilla.

CrowKettle

I’m glad I finally got to try this too, although I think I’d go with “delicate” next time. I’ve yet to try Biscotti Bailey’s but I’ll have to fix that soon.

Well I’m so glad that you finally got to try this out!

Plunkybug

Oh I totally agree! That little packet you gave me went into the baggie with the stuff from OMGsrsly by accident, instead of the one your stuff was in, and when I opened the baggie to catalogue the contents, all I could smell was the caramel matcha. I look forward to making some!

CrowKettle

Thank you again, Sil! I can’t say that enough. It’s hard to resist drinking this stuff all day.

I hope it didn’t explode everywhere! Next time I swap matcha I’ll put it in the little sample tins.

OMGsrsly

Haha. Oops! I’m excited to try this tomorrow! Thanks so much for sharing the matcha. :)

Anytime :)

Well I’m glad you also encouraged others to try some haha

You can get little craft plastic tins at the dollar store that seem to work….picked some up yesterday and used them to share matcha with the girls here :) little cheaper than actual tins

CrowKettle

Ah.. plastic tins! I should never ignore the wonders of the dollar store. :)

Cavocorax

Sounds so good! I’m expecting my matcha latte samples from red leaf this week – it’ll be my first foray into the mysteries of matcha!

Can’t wait.

Also, I was just at the dollar store and I totally forgot to get craft bags. :/

CrowKettle

I’m extremely curious about your matcha latte samples and hope it goes well!

I want to get proper bags before swapping with anyone again but I keep forgetting, or when I do remember the dollar store is closed.

Comments

Fjellrev

CrowKettle

Well I’m so glad that you finally got to try this out!

Plunkybug

OMGsrsly

Anytime :)

Well I’m glad you also encouraged others to try some haha

CrowKettle

Ah.. plastic tins! I should never ignore the wonders of the dollar store. :)

Can’t wait.

Also, I was just at the dollar store and I totally forgot to get craft bags. :/

CrowKettle

I’m extremely curious about your matcha latte samples and hope it goes well!

My favourites are teas like Milk Oolong, Silver Needle,and Japanese Sencha/Gyokuro, but I generally enjoy ALL the tea, including flavoured blends and a good ol’ cup of Earl Grey.

Subjective Rating System 4.0:
I don’t give a lot of low ratings out, since I tend to grab tea I know will appeal to me.

90-100: Exceptional and all-time favourite teas. I struggle between hoarding these like a dragon and consuming them like a poorly adjusted black hole.

80-89: Favourite teas (usually flavoured) that I try to keep around when possible.

70-79: Good teas that I’ll happily drink up, but with minor issues.

60-69: Ok teas, but I may have a few problems with quality, consistency, ingredient chemistry, and/or personal preferences.

50-59: Average to mediocre cup. Personal preference issues are apparent but still drinkable.

11-49: Varying levels of undrinkable tea.

1-10: Nightmare tea from the chaos realms. This tea is the embodiment of the primordial swamp, an unholy abomination. It’s very gross and I’m almost positive it doesn’t exist.

FAVOURITE INGREDIENTS/NOTES:

DESSERT FLAVOURS
Vanilla, Maple, Caramel, Butterscotch, Cream, Toffee, Nougat, Marzipan, Butter

FRUIT & BERRIES
Blackberry, Raspberry, Currants, Blueberry, Elderberry, Banana, Melon, Pineapple, Persimmon, Rhubarb, Passionfruit

CITRUS
Lime, Grapefruit, Lemon, Bergamot, Yuzu (orange is a hit or miss)

SPICES
Anise (but not licorice), Ginger, Clove-forward chai

AROMATIC & HERBACEOUS NOTES
Musky, “Fresh,” and/or Woody Incense-like stuff: Sandalwood, Frankincense, Juniper Eucalyptus, Mints

FLORALS
Lavender, Jasmine, Rose, Lilac, Violet, etc. ALL the flowers!

VEGGIE/GRAIN NOTES
Spinach, Grass, Hay, Cucumber, Rice, Sweet Potato

Less Preferred Flavours/Ingredients:

- Stevia and most sweeteners
- Cinnamon-forward blends
- Prunes
- Dark Roasts (oolong)
- Orange (if it’s a creamsicle)
- Mango pieces (love mango outside of tea though)
- Cocoa Nibs, 95% of the time.

BC, Canada