drank Grape Oolong by Butiki Teas

This is one of the teas from the group Butiki order that I would’ve never picked out for myself, but ended up splitting it with a couple others, I think OMGsrsly and Cavocorax. I have just enough for two separate sessions.

The dry leaf smells like grape juice and rich, buttery oolong, while the steeping leaf smells nutty (almost like popcorn). Once the steeped leaf is removed the liquor goes back to smelling like the dry leaf. The whole thing comes across as sweet, moist, and savory.

I oversteeped it a tad, but the flavour ends up as rather delicate and floral. The grape flavour is gentle, with no cloying sweetness and only the tiniest bit of dryness to give it sour note grapes leave behind. It’s like eating ghost grapes (yeah, my tongue is tingling from the experience..); the grape sensation is wispy and fleeting, yet so precisely grapey. The cup is predominantly smooth, flowery oolong but everything it does suggests and compliments the grape notes.

Plunkybug

I almost got this one, but I don’t think I did in the end. If Jenn has some to spare,I’ll pick up a little from the meet up later this month.

CrowKettle

If she’s out I’ll put the rest of mine aside for you, if you’d like. :) It’s only about a serving though.

I think she has some.

Plunkybug

Actually she doesn’t. So if you don’t mind setting something aside, that would be great.

No Problem! :)

Cavocorax

Haha. Glad you guys worked it out. I only had a tiny bit to begin with, and it went quick…

OMGsrsly

I totally missed this. If any more is needed, I have 2 tsp left. :)

Comments

Plunkybug

I think she has some.

No Problem! :)

Cavocorax

OMGsrsly

I totally missed this. If any more is needed, I have 2 tsp left. :)

White teas, roasted/fired green teas, and the not so roasted green oolong varieties are my favourites. I enjoy the odd shu puerh too.

Currently looking for the most buttery and sweet green oolong I can find.

Ingredients/flavours I enjoy (in moderation): anise, butter, caramel, cedar, cream, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, lemon, lilac, lime, maple, marshmallow leaves, melon, mint, orchid, pine, rice, rose, vanilla.

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

86-90: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

BC, Lower Mainland