This nutty and grass-sweet is a beauty to see. The image here doesn’t quite do the trick of conveying all the brilliant shades of silver-green long leaves piled together. The lush sweet and nutty scent is also absent; my nose interprets the aroma as nori with sesame oil.

If my lovebird was still alive, he’d try and be all over this with beak and talon, due to the taste and smell of hot millet. That stuff is the catnip of the granivorous bird world. Sweet and nutty grasses are mainly what I get out of this. When I western steeped it today a corn note became apparent as well.

I personally find there to be a bit of a bitter edge to this tea as well, much like actual grass grains. It really came out during a haphazard gongfu session; it reminded me of a less endearing version of Nepal Silver Oolong (What-Cha), which has distinct floral and orange-citrus notes.

Steep Count: 3

(2017 Spring Harvest)

Tea sample provided by Teavivre. Thanks for the chance to try this!

Flavors: Corn Husk, Floral, Grain, Grass, Hay, Nuts, Seaweed, Sweet

Ingredients/flavours I tend to dislike or stay away from: apple, cocoa nibs, marine, peach, stevia, dairy products

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

90-100: My absolute favourite tea. Will impulsively buy and hoard like a dragon.

85-89: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

76-84: A lovely tea, maybe of high quality or masterful blending, but not one I’m likely to order again.

BC, Lower Mainland