I’ve decided that this is a tea style (aged white) that needs to be in my cupboard all the time. So far, I’ve been incredibly lucky to have subsisted solely on samples from generous Steepster users and companies, but I think it’s high time I officially invest and stock up!

Why do I love this kind of thing? For starters, it combines my favourite floral, hay, and fruity notes of white tea styles with the smooth, creamy-earth profile of an aged tea. It also proves to the world that you can be the low-grade by-product of Silver Needles, and still retain ALL the class. Dance on, classy tea.

This shou mei has a heady sweetness that I associate with blueberry wine. I can’t say why shou mei’s and blueberries are interlinked in my mind, but there it is. Not sure anyone else would get that particular flavour. It turns into a spiced juniper berry in later steepings.

Steep Count: 3

Sample provided by Teavivre. Thank you!

Flavors: Berries, Blueberry, Earth, Floral, Honey, Lemon, Spices, Sweet, warm grass, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 4 OZ / 118 ML
Evol Ving Ness

ooooh, this one sounds like a win!

TeaVivre

Boiling this tea,like cooking thick soup, will also have a very delicious taste!

Evol Ving Ness

Thank you, Angel. Good to know!

you’re welcome!

CrowKettle

This tea seems to allow for a lot of experimentation. Thanks again, Angel, for the samples and suggestions!

You’re welcome!

Comments

Evol Ving Ness

ooooh, this one sounds like a win!

Evol Ving Ness

Thank you, Angel. Good to know!

you’re welcome!

CrowKettle

You’re welcome!

White teas, roasted/fired green teas, and the not so roasted green oolong varieties are my favourites. I enjoy the odd shu puerh too.

Currently looking for the most buttery and sweet green oolong I can find.

Ingredients/flavours I enjoy (in moderation): anise, butter, caramel, cedar, cream, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, lemon, lilac, lime, maple, marshmallow leaves, melon, mint, orchid, pine, rice, rose, vanilla.

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

86-90: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

BC, Lower Mainland