drank Banana Tie Guan Yin by 52teas

This is so perfect. I should’ve picked up more, especially considering I got dinged for Duty by Canada-US Customs and won’t be ordering again for a looooong time because I’m so mad (yet, I’m already fighting the compulsion to order a giant pouch of this).

Seriously though, the world needs more creamy banana with brightly floral tieguanyin. This is a jackpot blend for my taste buds. I look forward to resteeping and savouring all 12g of this.

Steep Count: 4

(2017 holiday reblend)

Flavors: Banana, Cream, Floral, Mineral

Evol Ving Ness

To be dinged by Customs with already worrying about the poor exchange AND shipping sucks. A lot.

CrowKettle

They didn’t even end up charging me for anything in the parcel- just the inconvenience of holding and handling for $13 CAD. Not impressed.

Mastress Alita

I hate to admit it, but it’s all the US/Canada customs horror stories which is why I personally won’t ship over the border. I once really needed a medical device from Canada (had more settings and didn’t require a script for it in Canada) but I knew the shipping would be evil part when my good online friend up there agreed to get it for me when I sent her the money for it. She brought it with her on a visit to friends in Michigan, then shipped it to me after she was stateside. Honestly, though, it shouldn’t have to be that difficult…

Evol Ving Ness

I have had A LOT of tea coming from the States and all without incident. However, out of dozens, one batch got dinged and I won’t be ordering from that company again.

CrowKettle

I’ve been ordering across border semi-regularly since 2011 and never payed duty. Going by the paper slip they sent me and the original customs declaration, I honestly don’t know how they justified it here. The tea companies I love right now are so limited right now that I’d be pretty choked to cut out 52teas. I’ll probably give it another shot and if it happens again it will be a PO box for me!

@Mastress Alita, glad that worked out and that you had such an amazing contact! The hassle can be real.

mrmopar

It is more about how the declaration on the customs paperwork is I think. If you list something as a gift and list the value as low I think it will bypass the duties.

this sounds yummy….

Fjellrev

That sucks, CrowKettle! I’m lucky that so far I haven’t been charged for any tea orders, however, I’ve been dinged 2-3 times for ColourPop (and maaaybe another cosmetics order from somewhere else…) so I stopped ordering from them. Definitely all the more frustrating when we are already dealing with a weak dollar.

Evol Ving Ness

If the value is listed at under a 100, it should be fine. It is the over 100 purchases that seem to raise eyebrows at the border.

CrowKettle

Yeah, it was listed well below 100 ($29) so it’s a mystery to me. Oh, well!

!!!!!!

Likely a random spot check then. Boo! And here I thought that I had things figured out. Luck of the draw then.

Evol Ving Ness

Certainly an uncertain world.

Fjellrev

Hmm, just checked and my Colourpop orders were all 40-60 USD, yet they got me anyway.

Evol Ving Ness

When did this dinging take place?

I am wondering whether it might have something to do with the orange debacle’s more recent attack on us— tariffs etc?

Starfevre

“the orange debacle” LOL

Evol Ving Ness

hahaha, and that it more of my more polite euphemisms.

Comments

Evol Ving Ness

Mastress Alita

mrmopar

this sounds yummy….

CrowKettle

Yeah, it was listed well below 100 ($29) so it’s a mystery to me. Oh, well!

!!!!!!

Evol Ving Ness

Certainly an uncertain world.

Evol Ving Ness

When did this dinging take place?

Starfevre

“the orange debacle” LOL

Evol Ving Ness

hahaha, and that it more of my more polite euphemisms.

Ingredients/flavours I tend to dislike or stay away from: apple, cocoa nibs, marine, peach, stevia, dairy products

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

90-100: My absolute favourite tea. Will impulsively buy and hoard like a dragon.

85-89: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

76-84: A lovely tea, maybe of high quality or masterful blending, but not one I’m likely to order again.

BC, Lower Mainland