drank Chinese Five Spice by 52teas

Bought this because I was craving an Anise tea, and then let it sit in the cupboard for a while because this tea actually smells like the “Chinese Five Spice” you find in the spice section and your friendly neighbourhood grocery chain (sniff some McCormick and you’ve got it). It was too much and has been too much for quite a few months now.

Luckily, I caved in a year later after buying it (The dog has passed the torch to the pig), and tried it as a part of my “drink up your unwanted tea” conviction. Turns out this is actually lovely, and just the right amount of cloves, anise/fennel, ginger, peppercorn and cinnamon. (although I wouldn’t mind more citrus). It’s still on the unique side (read: savoury), but I won’t have a problem drinking up the rest!

Edit: I find once this tea is steeped the flavour and aroma profile sometimes cross over to dessert territory; this happened the other day. Tastes like cinnamon anise malt cookies.

Flavors: Anise, Cinnamon, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Malt, Orange, Peppercorn

Favourite Flavours/Ingredients:

-Vanilla, Maple, Caramel, Cream, Toffee, Nougat, Marzipan
-All Citrus: Lime, Grapefruit, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Yuzu
-Anise, but not licorice
-Ginger or Clove-forward chai
-Rosemary
-Grass/Marine/Vegetal/Nutty Green teas
-Florals: Rose, Lavender, Jasmine…
-Musky and/or Woody Incense-like stuff: Sandalwood, Frankincense, Eucalyptus
-Berries: Blackberry, Raspberry, Currants, Blueberry, Elderberry
-Bananas, and most fruits actually.

Less Preferred Flavours/Ingredients:

-Stevia and most sweetners
-Cinnamon-forward chai/blends
-Apple & Cranberries
-Mango pieces (love mango outside of tea though)
-Coconut pieces (as a sub/filler ingredient)
-Metallic or overly artificial teas
-Cocoa Nibs, 95% of the time.

Subjective Rating System 3.0:

90-100: My absolute favourite tea. I’ll impulsively buy in large quantities and hoard like a dragon.

85-89: A favourite tea. I’ll try to keep this one around when it’s practical.

76-84: A good tea, but not one I’m likely to order again.

70-75: Alright, but I may have a few problems with quality, consistency, ingredient chemistry and/or personal preferences.

50-69: Average to mediocre cup.

11-49: Varying levels of undrinkable tea. I don’t give a lot of these ratings out, since I tend to grab tea I know will appeal to me.

1-10: Nightmare tea from the chaos realms. This tea is the embodiment of the primordial swamp, the unholy abomination that is a chimera. It’s very gross and I’m almost positive it doesn’t exist.

BC, Canada