drank Oriental Beauty by Shang Tea

Well, I don’t know the full story behind this one, but if I’m not mistaken it’s from the tea farm of Shang’s friend, which is no longer an active tea farm, but the trees there are let to grow on their own now, so they go over to harvest the wild tea from them sometimes. And I think that’s where this oriental beauty is from, if I remember right. I’m brewing this gongfu style.

The aroma of the leaves after the first infusion is really floral and lovely. It’s a light kind of floral like roses and lychee. The first infusion is sweet and has some of the same quality in its flavor, in addition to honey notes.

The second infusion has more of the honey and floral notes, and also tastes like really sweet squash, like delicatta squash or kabocha. There are dried autumn leaf notes as well.

The third infusion is more honey like and rich in flavor. It has a bit more woody and fallen leaf notes in the flavor now.

I really enjoy this tea. In fact, it might be the best Oriental Beauty tea I’ve had. I haven’t particularly cared for the type in general in the past, but this one has the notes I love.

A friend of mine tells me this tea is a bit sensitive to heat and will become bitter if brewed too hot. I am brewing it at 85C/185F and there’s no bitterness here, so that seems like the right temperature. :3

Edit: I came back to this for another infusion and brewed it more strongly and it gave me more unexpected flavors. It had a really strong presence of nutmeg, clove, and other autumn spices. Totally unexpected! I had some food in between. It may have effected how it tasted to me.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Butternut Squash, Honey, Lychee, Rose, Wood

Rasseru

One thing I love to do with ob is make a Western style cup around 3g/12oz or something, 80-90c 3 minutes. Then let it cool, sipping after 5/8/10 mins, you’ll know when you’ve got the right temp as it will be a decadent cup of honey lushness. Expensive but oh so nice

Lion

That sounds fun. I’ll have to try it when I’ve got more. Sadly I only bought a 5g sample of this and used most of it!

Comments

Rasseru

Lion

I’m a dedicated practitioner of Gongfu Cha and you can usually find me brewing my tea in a gaiwan, sometimes a small Gongfu-style teapot or Yixing pot. I tend to stick to straight teas and scented teas most often, though I dabble in tisanes and flavored blends sometimes. I use a Tokoname kyusu for Japanese green teas and a chawan for matcha.

My favorite tea is silver needles from Kenya. There’s just nothing quite like it. I’m really eager to explore more teas from the Mt. Kenya tea estates.

To me, tea offers a time of peace and reflection in solitude, or sharing and enjoyment with friends. It has become a huge part of my life lately.

Aside from tea, I’m a creative person. I love to cook, create music, write fiction, draw, decorate, and do just about anything creative I can get my paws on.

I am really interested in Asian cultures in all aspects. I really love Japanese anime and video games as well.

I’m a friend to animals of all kinds. I couldn’t live in a world without animals. Conserving and respecting them is very important to me. I’m a lion at heart. :3

My Tea Ratings:
0 = Unpalatable, harsh
25 = Unenjoyable
50 = I’m indifferent
75 = Enjoyable
100 = Incredible

Anything I rate 90 or above, I tend to consider “best quality” teas and ones that I would be likely to purchase more than once.

Kansas City, USA