drank Birthday Cake by DAVIDsTEA

Okay birthday cake, you’re up next in the taste testing evening extraordinaire of decaf teas of (hopeful) deliciousness.

So, I get why people think this smells like maple syrup. Having grown up surrounded by the stuff, I’d say this smells more like pancake syrup with some maple flavor added to it, Aunt Jemimma style. Steeped it smells pretty much the same.

I’m surprised by the taste of this tea. It tastes.. a bit buttery, a tiny bit maple-y at the end of the sip, and that’s really it. I decided to add some Truvia because, well, I thought it would add some complexity. Thankfully, it did. I can taste more of the icing-like flavor now, and the maple tastes real and ripe. It’s still lacking for me though. Zero cake, and zero… I dunno. Depth?

Maybe I steeped it wrong (followed the package instructions) and I know I leafed it perfectly. I’ll try again with the few tsp I have left, however I doubt I’ll ever buy this again.

VariaTEA

This tea tends to be pretty weak in the flavor department so it is probably not your brewing that caused you to find it lacking. Personally I dont mind this tea in the evening because I think I just really like the smell of it. It’s not a bad latte – that helps bring out the creaminess and some sweetness

OMGsrsly

Definitely pancake syrup, not real maple syrup. :) I might have a cup now, though.

MissB

The more I drink it, the more of the pancake syrup-y smell comes out, and the more I think… overbuttered popcorn? Or maybe even caramel corn. It’s like there’s that same feeling on my lips. I kinda like it considering I’ve gone grain-free in the past few months. I’ll definitely try it as a latte, or maybe a latte smoothie?

MissB

It does smell divine though.. I could easily have my house smell like this all winter.

OMGsrsly

Try a tiny tiny pinch of salt in it, wow. Just a few grains.

Comments

VariaTEA

OMGsrsly

Try a tiny tiny pinch of salt in it, wow. Just a few grains.

Almost all of the tea was given away, sold, or otherwise shared. A few relics still remain. I now travel full time with only two carryon bags to my name. One quarter of those bags are tea.

It’s still a challenge to avoid the chipmunk-like hoarding of The Teas, yet, the lightness of being from having so little compels me more.

If I have enough, I’m happy to share. If I’m in your area, I’d love to swap, meet for tea, and explore together.

As for the day-to-day stuff, I’m focused almost entirely on Love, (yes, with a capital L), Spirit/Self, transformation, travel and my writing and speaking work.

What kinds of teas do I normally like?

YES: flavored teas, fruity, dessert, chai, and spicy (REALLY spicy).

A FONDNESS FOR: all white teas, malty black teas, any herbal or medicinal teas, strange/weird teas you can only get in one place.

ALLERGIC TO: strawberries, lavender

DISLIKES: any added sugars, grains, lapsang souchong, and overly floral teas – I might enjoy a Jasmine Green every once in a while, but unless it’s a creamy floral tea (think roses in a chai, or the smoothness of a floral note in a French tea), I’ll likely pass. Earl Greys are a hit or miss with me; heavy on the cream or fruit notes and I might like it, heavy on the blergamot and I definitely won’t.

Canada