drank Gingerbread Cookie by DAVIDsTEA

I was pretty stoked originally to try this tea – the promise of gingerbread cookies in my cup was just too alluring not to get excited! Finally got around to brewing up a cup today, and looked on Steepster quickly beforehand to see what I might expect. One thing I wasn’t expecting was to see the tasting note “dirt,” which I thought was a bit harsh! But once I started steeping, I could smell what I’m guessing that tasting note may have been based off of. Not sure if it’s the Yerba Mate flavour coming through, as it’s not a type of tea I regularly consume. It has an undertone of, well, if you’ve ever had one of those capsule pills of echinacea or valeriun powder burst…? It tastes a bit like that. If I perhaps had avoided smelling it when it was so strong (the flavour of it is less powerful but still present) maybe I wouldn’t notice it whilst drinking.

It’s quite possible I oversteeped this, but based on others’ tasting notes saying the gingerbread doesn’t come through strongly, I thought perhaps I would give it a good, long time to steep. Perhaps next time I’ll time it more precisely and see – but I can say that even with a suspected oversteeping, while the gingerbread notes are lovely, they are, indeed, lighter than expected. As far as holiday blends are concerned, I can think of several that I am far more likely to turn to than Gingerbread Cookie, despite the concept appealing to me and being a loyal DAVIDsTEA fan. (For myself personally, the Adagio Tea blend by Cara McGee called Mycroft actually achieved what I was hoping for from Gingerbread Cookie a fair bit better.) Overall, the flavours of this tea, whilst at least 50% pleasant, are too soft for me to give a higher recommendation. If you’d like something quite light, however, this may be your tea.

Flavors: Earth, Ginger, Molasses, Sweet