I brought this tin to work a while ago, but only opened it today. It’s not one that really screamed at me to be tried, it would seem. I’m trying to be good, though, and to drink my older teas up first, so its day finally came.

According to the tin, the ingredients are chamomile, peppermint, hibiscus, lavender and rose petals, on a blackberry leaf base. The dry leaf itself is light and fluffy, so I used 1.5 tsp when making my cup. I gave it about 4 minutes in boiling water.

The resulting liquor is medium yellow, and smells strongly of lavender. Heavily floral teas aren’t usually my thing, so it’s with trepidation that I approach this one. While brewing, the scent was more generically “herbal” by which I mean, I think, that it smelt of chamomile, mint, and vaguely “green”, like fresh hedgerow. I was actually expecting a much darker, reddish-pink, liquor given that there’s hibiscus in here. On second glance, there’s so little of it that it probably isn’t able to make much of an impression. For once, I’m a little disappointed. A touch of hibiscus might have brought this one over from being too overwhelmingly floral. But still, it is what it is.

To taste, the main flavour is lavender. It’s almost equally matched by the chamomile, though, so my overall impression is reasonably positive. I get along quite well with chamomile, and I do find it helps to calm me in moments of stress. It’s probably a good thing this one’s at work with me! I can’t taste peppermint, hibiscus or rose at all, and if it weren’t for the tin I don’t think I’d know they were even there.

This isn’t ever going to be a favourite tea. It is strongly floral, and after a few sips it becomes a little too much for me. Perhaps less leaf next time, or a shorter brew time. I’ll probably finish the tin, but it’s not one I’d look to replace. There are herbals I like a lot more than this one!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 29, and I live in Norfolk in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

I’m still warming up to green teas and oolongs. I don’t think they’ll ever be my favourites, with a few rare exceptions, but I don’t hate them anymore. My experience of these teas is still very much a work-in-progress. I’m also beginning to explore pu’erh, both ripened and raw. That’s my latest challenge!

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norfolk, UK