I was sure I’d written a tasting note for this one, but apparently not. I know I’ve tried it at least a couple of times before. Still, better late than never! Usually, green tea is not my thing. That’s probably why I wasn’t hugely encouraged when I opened the tin and saw how dark the green tea leaves are. In my mind, dark green tea leaves equates to bitterness, although obviously this isn’t a reliable rule of thumb as I’ve proved to myself on more than one occasion. This time is no exception.

I used 1 tsp of leaf, and allowed the water to cool to around 170. I gave the leaves 2.5 minutes, and the resulting liquor is medium yellow-green. The taste is surprising. It’s so creamy, it’s hard to actually taste the green tea base at all. The main flavour is sweet, candy-like lemon, with a strong, creamy overcoat of vanilla. It’s like eating cheesecake, or some kind of delicious lemon cream dessert. It’s not often that I really, really enjoy an Adagio tea, and seemingly less often that I really, really enjoy a green tea. This one has defied all my expectations, however, and is actually very pleasant. I can see myself coming back to this one a lot in the future. I may even take some home for icing, as I suspect it would work just as well cold. A surprise hit!

170 °F / 76 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 29, and I live in Norfolk in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

I’m still warming up to green teas and oolongs. I don’t think they’ll ever be my favourites, with a few rare exceptions, but I don’t hate them anymore. My experience of these teas is still very much a work-in-progress. I’m also beginning to explore pu’erh, both ripened and raw. That’s my latest challenge!

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norfolk, UK