drank Vanilla Matcha by DAVIDsTEA

While I’m chronicling my matcha journey, I might as well note for myself that matcha shots in hot water are an absolute no-no for me. I’m not quite sure what it is about them, but they just hit me all wrong and I end up feeling desperately nauseous. I thought it was just plain matcha at first, but flavoured matcha in shot form has the same effect. What I can drink happily are lattes and shots in cold milk, so I’m thinking maybe the milk makes it more palatable for me? I would like more variety than that, though, so I might try experimenting with different nut milks or maybe some fruit juices. The adventure continues.

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 29, and I live in Norfolk in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

I’m still warming up to green teas and oolongs. I don’t think they’ll ever be my favourites, with a few rare exceptions, but I don’t hate them anymore. My experience of these teas is still very much a work-in-progress. I’m also beginning to explore pu’erh, both ripened and raw. That’s my latest challenge!

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norfolk, UK