085/365

The sore throat I thought was clearing up appears to be making a return, so I’ve decided to kick it to the curb. It starts with this one, made up as Hot Mama’s House Special Sore Throat Destroyer, which is a recipe from Bluebird’s website. Additions include lemon juice, turmeric, and honey. It’s bright orange.

It’s interesting in flavour terms. Not unpleasant, and not medicinal…just different. The chili is more prominent than I expected, and leaves a warming heat at the back of the throat. The lime is also pretty strong, which is nice. There’s also a background fruitiness – the pepperiness of mango, the sweetness of passion fruit, a little orange. The base is green tea, which I wouldn’t know from the taste alone. I actually brewed it in boiling water, so evidently the green tea is fairly low on the ingredients list because I just didn’t realise it was there. It strikes me more as a herbal/fruit blend than a green tea, and it tastes more like one too.

The honey I added has given it a little more sweetness than I think it would have otherwise, and perhaps a touch of smoothness also. The lemon, fortunately, hasn’t made it too sharp. Other than having a serious effect on the colour, the turmeric is undetectable.

On the whole, this tastes a little bit like tropical fruit juice, with a kick of chili. I like it, and I hope it’ll help some.

1 tsp

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 29, and I live in Norfolk in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

I’m still warming up to green teas and oolongs. I don’t think they’ll ever be my favourites, with a few rare exceptions, but I don’t hate them anymore. My experience of these teas is still very much a work-in-progress. I’m also beginning to explore pu’erh, both ripened and raw. That’s my latest challenge!

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norfolk, UK