086/365

I bought this one largely so that I could make golden milk, because it’s probably not something I’m going to drink straight, if I’m honest! Given that it’s supposed to be good for colds/sore throats/general under-the-weatherness, I gave it a go pretty much as soon as I got home last night.

I went with Bluebird’s recipe, and used 300ml coconut milk, 1 tsp. of honey, and 1/2 tsp. of matcha. I added a sprinkle of cinnamon for pretties, and also because I was being reminded of curry quite a bit, and I wanted something sweet to cut through that.

In actual fact, I needn’t have worried. The coconut milk is pretty sweet on its own, and overpowers any lingering savoury notes from the turmeric. There’s really nothing curry-like about golden milk, except the colour (and the scent, while under construction!) It’s super creamy, although the milk is obviously contributing that – there’s nothing creamy about this particular matcha otherwise.

Taste wise, it’s predominantly coconut. There’s an additional sweetness from the honey, and a touch of spice from the cinnamon. The turmeric doesn’t play much of a contributing role in the flavour, and neither does the rooibos base of the matcha. There is a chilli-like heat that lingers in the aftertaste, and I have to assume that comes from the matcha. It makes for a pleasant counterpoint to all the sweet creaminess, and my throat certainly approves.

I appreciate that I’ve not really done the matcha justice by drowning it in coconut milk, and I can’t really comment much on what it’s like in its own right. What I do know is that it was easy to whisk up, stayed in suspension, and would likely be much more savoury brewed differently. I also know that golden milk is delicious! It could well be a new winter staple for me.

Hi :) I’m Sarah, and I live in Norfolk in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

I’m still warming up to green teas and oolongs. I don’t think they’ll ever be my favourites, with a few rare exceptions, but I don’t hate them anymore. My experience of these teas is still very much a work-in-progress. I’m also beginning to explore pu’erh, both ripened and raw. That’s my latest challenge!

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norfolk, UK