292/365

Another of Bird & Blend’s Fairytale Collection, and probably the one I liked the idea of least. It’s purple, though, and who doesn’t love a purple tea? I was actually surprised that it came out purple, since it’s butterfly pea flower that does it and that usually comes out blue. It looks good in bright light, if a bit murky.

Colour aside, I have to admit that my expectations weren’t high. The main ingredients in this blend are hibiscus, rosehip, apple, aniseed, and liquorice. Some of my arch-nemeses in there! I’m now on my second cold in three weeks, though, so the liquorice doesn’t seem like a bad idea. I know I’m ill when I’m making statements like that! Seriously, though, my new colleagues must think I’m a sickly thing. I don’t think they’ve seen me at my best for a single day yet, since I just seem to be bouncing from one cold to the next and I know I look tired and run-down. I keep wanting to tell them I’m not like this really, but I think they’ll see that for themselves once I’m back to normal…if that ever happens!

So I wasn’t expecting much from this one, and then I realised it smells like vanilla cake batter. More to the point, it tastes like vanilla cake batter. I don’t get where that’s coming from, since none of the ingredients even remotely suggest that to me, but there it is. The liqourice adds a degree of sweetness, although it’s not overpowering or cloying in the way it sometimes can be. I also feel like the butterfly pea flower is pretty subtle, too, which isn’t always the case. Even the hibi and rosehip aren’t too sour/tart, which is a rare thing in my experience. This is one well-balanced blend!

Despite my misgivings, I actually quite like this one. It’s an interesting flavour, and clearly well put together. The only thing I don’t really get is the name – what have mermaids to do with any of this?

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Hi :) I’m Sarah, and I live in Norfolk in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

I’m still warming up to green teas and oolongs. I don’t think they’ll ever be my favourites, with a few rare exceptions, but I don’t hate them anymore. My experience of these teas is still very much a work-in-progress. I’m also beginning to explore pu’erh, both ripened and raw. That’s my latest challenge!

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norfolk, UK