I like to do fairly short infusions for this one, the astringency can then get mild and pleasant, while the tea still retains a lot of flavour and depth. That’s a sign of a good quality green tea. My recent choice was 60s (70°C), 15s (80°C), 30s (80°C), 45s (80°C), 60s (90°C), 120s (90°C), which turned out very well. Maybe I would cut down a bit on the first and last infusion.

Otherwise, the taste and smell profile is not very different from other chinese green teas. The nutty and buttery notes seem to dominate over floral and vegetal ones though. There is also more umami than one would find in Long Jing for example. The body is medium and the aftertaste is very sweet as expected from an astringent tea like this.

I definitely recommend the tea. It is one of those with which you cannot really go wrong, as long as you enjoy green tea.

Flavors: Astringent, Butter, Dry Grass, Nutty, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Umami

165 °F / 73 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Currently, I am a PhD student at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario. Apart from teas and mathematics, I enjoy sports and traveling, as well as music of all kinds.

I have been a fan of green tea for a while and only recently (in 2017) started exploring other kinds of tea in greater depth. I rarely drink blends or white tea and avoid artificially scented teas. Other than that I try to keep it varied. The one thing that I am currently missing in my collection are teas from India, in particular some Darjeelings.

My rating description:
100 _ Unforgettable tea, an experience that changes your life.
90 – 100 _ Excellent tea.
80 – 90 _ Very enjoyable, I will buy again.
70 – 80 _ I enjoyed it, but I most likely won’t be buying it again.
60 – 70 _ Decent.
50 – 60 _ Average, forgettable.
40 – 50 _ I didn’t really like the tea, but it is drinkable.
0 – 40 _ I would prefer to avoid the tea.

Waterloo, ON, Canada