[Spring 2018 harvest]

For my morning brew I chose this black tea sample from derk. It was a good choice, it turns out that this tea ranks among my favourite black teas from YS. I will be looking to add it to my next order.

It has a nicely balanced and delicate taste, while being more bitter and less sweet than similar teas. That’s definitely a plus for me. The taste profile is somewhat tart and bitter with spicy and nutty undertones. One of the highlights is the protracted and evolving aftertaste.

Also, I am not sure if it’s related to my state of mind this morning, but I don’t think black tea has ever had such a strong defocusing effect on me, and this was only 3g. Admittedly, I drank it quite fast. The tea is very infusable too, I could get 12 infusions from it overall.

Song pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWbsnAHXyBU

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus, Fruity, Nutty, Spices, Tart

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 50 ML

Currently, I am a PhD student at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario. Apart from teas and mathematics, I enjoy sports and traveling, as well as music of all kinds.

I have been a fan of green tea for a while and only recently (in 2017) started exploring other kinds of tea in greater depth. I rarely drink blends or white tea and avoid artificially scented teas. Other than that I try to keep it varied. The one thing that I am currently missing in my collection are teas from India, in particular some Darjeelings.

My rating description:
100 _ Unforgettable tea, an experience that changes your life.
90 – 100 _ Excellent tea.
80 – 90 _ Very enjoyable, I will buy again.
70 – 80 _ I enjoyed it, but I most likely won’t be buying it again.
60 – 70 _ Decent.
50 – 60 _ Average, forgettable.
40 – 50 _ I didn’t really like the tea, but it is drinkable.
0 – 40 _ I would prefer to avoid the tea.

Waterloo, ON, Canada