I am slowly but surely getting to the end of my first TTC order. This high mountain oolong is one of the most memorable ones.

The dry leaves smell of meadows and beeswax with a hint of clean decayed wood. The wet leaf aroma reminds me of the morning mist in a town surrounded by mountains. There are notes of custard, cream and various florals. I also notice a smell that is reminding me of a a very dark soil, rich in organic content, when wet.

The first infusion is quite tart and metallic tasting. The main flavours I notice are green apple and grass. The green apple one reappears in later infusions too, but it’s less prominent. It is complemented by other fruit notes like plantain and lime. The taste profile is a mix of umami, sweet and tart, with floral hints like nettle. The aftertaste is very long and pleasant. One of the stronger flavours I get there are lime leaves, but there are many others. It’s a fairly complex aftertaste overall.

Mouthfeel is slick, quite saliva like, but thicker. The finish is a little powdery. I really like the cha qi too, which is pleasant and elevating. It’s a good morning tea.

Flavors: banana, Cream, Custard, Decayed wood, Floral, Fruity, Grass, Green Apple, Lime, Metallic, petrichor, Plants, Pleasantly Sour, Sweet, Tart, Umami, Wet Earth

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Currently, I am a PhD student at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario. Apart from teas and mathematics, I enjoy sports and traveling, as well as music of all kinds.

I have been a fan of green tea for a while and only recently (in 2017) started exploring other kinds of tea in greater depth. I rarely drink blends or white tea and avoid artificially scented teas. Other than that I try to keep it varied. The one thing that I am currently missing in my collection are teas from India, in particular some Darjeelings.

My rating description:
100 _ Unforgettable tea, an experience that changes your life.
90 – 100 _ Excellent tea.
80 – 90 _ Very enjoyable, I will buy again.
70 – 80 _ I enjoyed it, but I most likely won’t be buying it again.
60 – 70 _ Decent.
50 – 60 _ Average, forgettable.
40 – 50 _ I didn’t really like the tea, but it is drinkable.
0 – 40 _ I would prefer to avoid the tea.

Waterloo, ON, Canada