drank Taiwan Jade Oolong Tea by What-Cha

I got this tea as a free (25g!) sample and it turned out to be unexpectedly unique and delicious, thanks a lot Alistair! Despite being a low elevation tea, it’s not particularly lacking in any respect. On the contrary, it has a complex and pungent fragrance, very nice flowery taste, long lasting aftertaste and a thick, creamy mouthfeel.

As for the specific notes, I could detect notes of butter, dry grass and lavender in the dry leaf smell. On the other hand, wet leaf aroma is very fresh, green, sweet, and floral, with notes of mint, sourdough bread, green beans (and a few other vegetables).

First steep tastes of menthol and freshly cut grass. It has a slightly sour finish and a sweet aftertaste. In later infusions, the profile gets progressively more flowery with a distinctive citrus blossom note. The aftertaste is very fragrant and displays notes of various flowers such as osmanthus.

On top of being creamy and quite thick, the liquor also induces a cooling, tingling sensation in the mouth, which makes it all the more interesting to drink. I hope that Alistair can continue to source this tea at such a competitive price, when looking for a floral jade oolong, this one shouldn’t be overlooked.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Creamy, Floral, Flowers, Freshly Cut Grass, Fruit Tree Flowers, Green Beans, Lavender, Menthol, Mint, Orange Blossom, Osmanthus, Pleasantly Sour, Sweet, Thick

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Kawaii433

Sounds wonderful. :)

Comments

Kawaii433

Sounds wonderful. :)

Currently, I am a PhD student at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario. Apart from teas and mathematics, I enjoy sports and traveling, as well as music of all kinds.

I have been a fan of green tea for a while and only recently (in 2017) started exploring other kinds of tea in greater depth. I rarely drink blends or white tea and avoid artificially scented teas. Other than that I try to keep it varied. The one thing that I am currently missing in my collection are teas from India, in particular some Darjeelings.

My rating description:
100 _ Unforgettable tea, an experience that changes your life.
90 – 100 _ Excellent tea.
80 – 90 _ Very enjoyable, I will buy again.
70 – 80 _ I enjoyed it, but I most likely won’t be buying it again.
60 – 70 _ Decent.
50 – 60 _ Average, forgettable.
40 – 50 _ I didn’t really like the tea, but it is drinkable.
0 – 40 _ I would prefer to avoid the tea.

Waterloo, ON, Canada