This is the last of the samples I received from Tea Side, another aged pu’er. Unlike the 2006 Hong Tai Chang 0802, this one lands on the opposite of the spectrum of my experiences with aged sheng. It has a weak-ish aroma and a fairly flat taste profile with decent astringency. The mouthfeel is more interesting, but doesn’t save it either. The tea is not cheap, but pales in comparison to much cheaper offerings in my opinion.

As for the particular character, its aroma has notes of dried plum, dried apricot, lamb meat, and fernet. The taste is woody and herbal with no flavours that particularly stick out. Aftertaste is aromatic and spicy with a light camphor note. Liquor has medium body I’d say and the mouthfeel is initially very bubbly and becomes quite smooth later on.

As a final comment, let me say that the tea (especially its aroma) reminds me of some of the YQH samples I have, even though I haven’t had those in a while so I may be misremembering. I wonder if it’s just a coincidence or a case of convergent storage conditions.

Flavors: Alcohol, Apricot, Astringent, Camphor, Dried Fruit, Herbs, Meat, Plum, Spices, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Currently, I am a PhD student at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario. Apart from teas and mathematics, I enjoy sports and traveling, as well as music of all kinds. Connect at https://rateyourmusic.com/~Togo

I have been a fan of green tea for a while and I started exploring other kinds of tea in greater depth only in 2017. I rarely drink blends and generally avoid artificially scented teas. Other than that I try to keep it varied.

My rating description:
100 _ Unforgettable tea, an experience that changes your life.
90 – 100 _ Excellent tea.
80 – 90 _ Very enjoyable, I will buy again.
70 – 80 _ I enjoyed it, but I most likely won’t be buying it again.
60 – 70 _ Decent.
50 – 60 _ Average, forgettable.
40 – 50 _ I didn’t really like the tea, but it is drinkable.
0 – 40 _ I would prefer to avoid the tea.

Bratislava, Slovakia