Among my hei cha samples that constitute my initial exploration of the category beyond ripe pu’er, I still have a couple without a note. In an effort to remedy that, here are my thoughts on this Liu Bao.

It doesn’t have much aroma either in dry or wet form. However, these kinds of teas are rarely fragrance focused. The taste is sweet and savoury with a bitter finish. It is a combination that reminds me of Sugabow gyokuro karigane hojicha and dark roast coffee. The green aspect is still present, especially in the somewhat astringent, grassy, and nutty aftertaste. Later steeps are smoother with some woodiness, a warming, peaty finish and slightly sour aftertaste. There is a bit of an aged sheng note in the aroma too.

There is not that much taste complexity overall, but it is a nice tea to drink and it definitely has aging potential. I also enjoy the somewhat creamy mouthfeel in spite of the average thickness. I sense a decent amount of caffeine and a sort of clarifying energy during and after the session.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Dry Grass, Nutmeg, Nutty, Peat, Sweet, Umami, Wet Earth, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

Currently, I am a PhD student at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario. Apart from teas and mathematics, I enjoy sports and traveling, as well as music of all kinds.

I have been a fan of green tea for a while and only recently (in 2017) started exploring other kinds of tea in greater depth. I rarely drink blends or white tea and avoid artificially scented teas. Other than that I try to keep it varied. The one thing that I am currently missing in my collection are teas from India, in particular some Darjeelings.

My rating description:
100 _ Unforgettable tea, an experience that changes your life.
90 – 100 _ Excellent tea.
80 – 90 _ Very enjoyable, I will buy again.
70 – 80 _ I enjoyed it, but I most likely won’t be buying it again.
60 – 70 _ Decent.
50 – 60 _ Average, forgettable.
40 – 50 _ I didn’t really like the tea, but it is drinkable.
0 – 40 _ I would prefer to avoid the tea.

Waterloo, ON, Canada