It’s been almost 2 years since my last report on this bitter shou. It has improved a little, mostly by virtue of losing its fresh fermentation character. The taste profile is thus more nuanced.

The aroma is not very pronounced, I detected hints of blackberry and myrrh there. First infusion reminds me very much of whiskey in its flavours, as well as almond shells and coffee beans. Later I also get peanuts and sour earhty notes. The aftertaste is long-lasting, cooling and quite savoury, almost herbaceous, I’d say.

First few steeps have a thick brothy texture, others are a bit less distinctive with a smooth and slightly tingling mouthfeel.

Flavors: Almond, Bitter, Blackberry, Coffee, Earthy, Herbaceous, Incense, Peanut, Sour, Thick, Whiskey

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 160 OZ / 4731 ML

Hi, I am a researcher in math, physics and computer science. Apart from teas and mathematics, I enjoy sports and traveling, as well as music of all kinds. Connect at https://rateyourmusic.com/~Togo

I had been drinking Japanese green tea for a while before discovering the world of tea in 2017. I rarely drink blends and generally avoid artificially scented teas. Other than that I try to keep it varied.

My rating description:
100 _ Unforgettable tea, an experience that changes your life.
90 – 100 _ Excellent tea.
80 – 90 _ Very enjoyable, I will buy again.
70 – 80 _ I enjoyed it, but I most likely won’t be buying it again.
60 – 70 _ Decent.
50 – 60 _ Average, forgettable.
40 – 50 _ I didn’t really like the tea, but it is drinkable.
0 – 40 _ I would prefer to avoid the tea.

Innsbruck, Austria