I have so many notes I gotta backlog…Well, I went to the Coffee and Tea Festival at the Detroit Institute of Arts and enjoyed some frickin’ amazing cardamom Turkish coffee, jasmine, Taiwan Assam, and Alishan tea after a ceremony. This sampling with the gorgeous art and atmosphere that is already at the DIA made for an awesome day…especially with really great quality Mediterranean food afterwards. Plus more tea including this tea.
I finally get to try this one, holy crap! This has been on my wish list for so long and I finally had the courage to get some.

I have brewed this a few times differently, and the leaves are rolled into huge balls like some of the jade oolongs from Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co. are. From gong fu to accidentally grandpa steeping a third session, the tea has been differentiated well with a consistent green floral fruit taste. So I probably could brew this western with very few leaves, or easily up the leafage for shorter steeps. I have not figured out the way I like this quite yet, but I have thoroughly enjoyed every experiment.

I knew that this tea was going to be on the veggie side, but I did not expect the tea to be as GREEN as it was. Unlike a few other jade’s I’ve had, the more grassy qualities matched mint more than anything else which impressed me. The hyacinth and lilac were there, but the florals were a closer to lilies and maybe rose for me. The rose is also a bit of a weird note, which I will update after more experience with it. The fruit quality pops up way more in the third steeps, and they are the usual Li Shan nectar fruit notes, but I am not sure how to describe them. How that sweet fruit note combines with the florals and the mintyness makes me think of blue cotton candy a little bit, but grassier and tarter. It made me think of cotton candy flavored floss like Rasseru described.

The Summary: a flexible resilient “clean head, clean feeling” tea with a great display of notes in a light, green body. I actually agree with Rasseru’s 86 rating, though I might put it at an 88 depending on how I am feeling. I have had Gaoshans that I definitely prefer over this one considering the price and the green taste. It was almost closer to a green tea than a regular oolong for me. I know it’s a jade oolong and they are more like green teas by default, but this tasted greener than some of the BaoZhongs I’ve had. I wonder how might it have tasted if it were fresher, but for $19 for 50 grams, this was a deal that I am very content with for great quality.

You know I will write more notes of this one for the future.

First Off, Current Targets:
Taiwan Sourcing Luxurious Jade Sampler (FRICKIN’ PRICEY)
Taiwan Sourcing Longhan Nectar Red Oolong

The best Alishan and or Lishan for the best price
The best Jade Oolong Period.
The best Dancong Period.

What-Cha:
Nepal Jun Chiyabari ‘Himalayan Tippy’ Black Tea
Lishan (I’m always stocking up on it)

My wish list is fairly accurate though it is broad.

Current Favorites:

Dayuling

Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co.:
“Old Style” Dong Ding

Me:

I am an MSU graduate about to become a high school social studies and history teacher. I formerly minored in anthropology, and I love Egyptian and classical history. I love to read, write, draw, paint, sculpt, fence(with a sword), workout, relax, and drink a cuppa tea…or twenty.

I’ve been drinking green and black teas ever since I was little living in Hawaii with a dominant Eastern Asian influence. I’ve come a long way since I began on steepster and now drink most teas gong fu, especially oolong. Any tea that is naturally creamy, fruity, or sweet without a lot of added flavoring ranks as a must have for me. I also love black teas and dark oolongs with the elusive “cocoa” note. My favorites are lighter Earl Greys, some white teas like What-Cha’s Kenyan offerings, most Hong-Cha’s, darker Darjeelings, almost anything from Nepal, Green Shan Lin Xi’s, and Greener Dong Dings. I’m in the process of trying Alishan’s. I also tend to really enjoy Yunnan Black or Red teas and white teas. I’m pickier with other teas like chamomile, green teas, and Masalas among several.

I used to give ratings, but now I only rate teas that have a strong impression on me. If I really like it, I’ll write it down.

I’ll enjoy a tea almost no matter what, even if the purpose is more medicinal, for it is my truest vice and addiction.

Michigan, USA