Thank you Spirit Tea! I’ve been enjoying Gui Fei’s a lot more lately. It’s probably because I’m not over leafing and thus overloading on the tannin. As for the teas from this company, I’ve been fairly pleased with most of the offerings. Most prices seem pretty fair, some a little more expensive though the quality is solid anyway. The brewing times and ratios for most of their oolongs thus far have been pretty similar to Beautiful Taiwan’s ratios with very little leaf and long minutes western, or controlled moderate length steeps limited to 30 seconds gong fu.

The notes are pretty close on the website though they differ from the package. I got the website notes of passionfruit, rose and marble rye Gong Fu and the package notes of rye toast, honey, and peach western. I think the latter description was more accurate overall. The Gong Fu was in the 150 ml Manual Tea Maker Gaiwan using close to four grams, starting off with 30, and then increasing the increments by thirty until I got into three minutes. It only held up 5 times with the rosy description and peach being stronger in the middle, the honey going through a bell curve, and then ending softly with the persistent rye roast character. Western was also in the Tea Maker using less than 3 grams, starting with 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 5 minutes, then 7 minutes. The texture was noticeably thicker and creamier making the brew a little sweeter and maltier. Some tannin was here and there, but it was far from astringent. The honey notes also lingered a little longer which surprised me.

Simply put, this was a fruity, honeyed great example of a Gui Fei. I preferred western style for this tea personally because of the texture, but this tea was still fairly flexible. It’s sweet enough for a newbie to try and well rounded enough for someone who is more experienced. Price is the only thing that bothered me overall because it would have been $19 for an ounce and a half, never mind I could get it for the same quality or better for $10-15 bucks for three ounces. Then again I am pickier with roasted oolongs.

First Off, Current Targets:
Taiwan Sourcing Luxurious Jade Sampler (FRICKIN’ PRICEY)
Taiwan Sourcing Longhan Nectar Red Oolong

The best Alishan and or Lishan for the best price
The best Jade Oolong Period.
The best Dancong Period.

What-Cha:
Nepal Jun Chiyabari ‘Himalayan Tippy’ Black Tea
Lishan (I’m always stocking up on it)

My wish list is fairly accurate though it is broad.

Current Favorites:

Dayuling

Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co.:
“Old Style” Dong Ding

Me:

I am an MSU graduate about to become a high school social studies and history teacher. I formerly minored in anthropology, and I love Egyptian and classical history. I love to read, write, draw, paint, sculpt, fence(with a sword), workout, relax, and drink a cuppa tea…or twenty.

I’ve been drinking green and black teas ever since I was little living in Hawaii with a dominant Eastern Asian influence. I’ve come a long way since I began on steepster and now drink most teas gong fu, especially oolong. Any tea that is naturally creamy, fruity, or sweet without a lot of added flavoring ranks as a must have for me. I also love black teas and dark oolongs with the elusive “cocoa” note. My favorites are lighter Earl Greys, some white teas like What-Cha’s Kenyan offerings, most Hong-Cha’s, darker Darjeelings, almost anything from Nepal, Green Shan Lin Xi’s, and Greener Dong Dings. I’m in the process of trying Alishan’s. I also tend to really enjoy Yunnan Black or Red teas and white teas. I’m pickier with other teas like chamomile, green teas, and Masalas among several.

I used to give ratings, but now I only rate teas that have a strong impression on me. If I really like it, I’ll write it down.

I’ll enjoy a tea almost no matter what, even if the purpose is more medicinal, for it is my truest vice and addiction.

Michigan, USA