I ordered 2 oz for a one day 50 off sale. I should have ordered a pound for half off instead because this tea is almost perfect for me.

Getting two nit picks out of the way: one, it is way too overpriced, and two the body does not re-brew as well as other teas of the same price. That said, the taste would fall into a category of favorites.

The leaves have a delicate roast producing a thick coconut oil from the tea leaves that permeates your cup and stays on your fingertips. It’s like removing coconut macaroons from a cookie sheet.

The tea itself is predictable but excellent: a lightly buttery body that is naturally sweet, fruity, fragrant, and with a bare toastiness in the aftertaste. The florals get more pronounced with each resteep, and the profile is soft and creamy. It does have a little bit of grassiness from the Baozhong, but it’s closer to lemon grass or pineapple in my opinion. The roast makes it barely noticeable, but its still a very green tea.

Of course this was western, but I Gong Fu does not yield too much of a difference. It just divides the tea into noticeable steps. First steep is creamy light coconut, secondd is like coconut oil with that coming toastiness, the third is more coconut with a touch of green pineapple, fourth is more coconut floral, green, and a little bit of toastiness. I’m impressed with the roast making this more like a light desert than a mega savory tea. It’s the exact balance I like.

Getting two ounces was a smart idea for the sheer quantity of tea I have. However, I wish I took better advantage of that sale and designated this as my bulk tea instead. But the price, even at discount is still high. If only Zen Tea continued to have their coconut oolong. I’d regularly give this tea a 98 or 97, but price is the big thing that lowers my rating. I’d recommend this for coconut tea lovers anyway.

CrowKettle

I miss coconut oolong; this sounds tempting even with the price tag! Zen Tea dropping it was a big deal breaker for me :(

Comments

CrowKettle

First Off, Current Targets:
Taiwan Sourcing Luxurious Jade Sampler (FRICKIN’ PRICEY)
Taiwan Sourcing Longhan Nectar Red Oolong
Berylleb Dayuling and Dong Ding Jin Xuan
The best coconut/pineapple oolong I can find
The best Alishan and or Lishan for the best price
The best Jade Oolong Period.
Drunken Green Dragon J-Tea
My wish list is fairly accurate though it is broad.

Current Favorites:

Dayuling

Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co.:
“Old Style” Dong Ding

Me:

I am an MSU student studying to become a high school social studies and history teacher with a minor in anthropology. I unfortunately dropped the anthropology minor, but I am and will continue to be an anthropologist as well as a historian. I love to read, write, draw, paint, sculpt, fence(with a sword), workout, relax, and drink a cuppa tea…or twenty.

I’ve been drinking green and black teas ever since I was little living in Hawaii with a dominant Eastern Asian influence. I’ve come a long way since I began on steepster and now have a better idea of the teas I absolutely prefer. Any tea that is naturally creamy, fruity, or sweet without a lot of added flavoring ranks as a must have for me. I also love black teas and dark oolongs with the elusive “cocoa” note. My favorites are lighter Earl Greys, some white teas like What-Cha’s Kenyan offerings, most Hong-Cha’s, darker Darjeelings, Green Shan Lin Xi’s, and Greener Dong Dings. I’m in the process of trying Alishan’s. I also tend to really enjoy Yunnan Black or Red teas and white teas. I’m pickier with other teas like chamomile, green teas, and Masalas among several.

I used to give ratings, but now I only rate teas that have a strong impression on me. If I really like it, I’ll write it down.

I’ll enjoy a tea almost no matter what, even if the purpose is more medicinal, for it is my truest vice and addiction.

Michigan, USA