Wow, this makes for an excellent grandpa style tea. The tea was like drinking dew on top of fresh linens near a lemon tree. As in, it was a typical white tea with a fresh, pure, sweet, and floral profile. I continue to recommend this one for white tea lovers, and it is something that I will continue to try to bring to work-because it is relaxing.

On the same note, What-Cha has MANY new offerings that I am highly willing to try; it’s just difficult because I need to minimize my finances to essentials, and hopefully investments and new skills…and following through on those efforts. I gotta admit that this week was not great, but pretty average for a teacher. Let’s see if I can get through a year.

Fjellrev

Teachers are way underpaid!

Daylon R Thomas

It’s actually a really mixed bag as to weather or not teachers are underpaid, often depending on the district and the costs of living for the area. I’ve met teachers who make around $70,000 with certifications in Social Studies and special ed., but for entry level teachers, their pay is 36,000 entering the field. The average pay of 56,000 is not bad with decent benefits and the option to have a job for the summer-but there’s the question of whether you actually have a pensions, 501 k, or some kind of investment for retirement; or better yet, how many student loans you have to pay off. I’m in student teaching right now for a full year, and I am basically paying $30,000 to work for free this year. I have full financial aid this year, but I still have my own amount of loans leftover to pay off from my actual degree. So from that perspective, teachers are definitely underpaid.

From there on, the question gets complicated. Some consider teachers to be a low skilled profession limited to education or the academic subject that person is teaching-nevermind there are several teachers with master’s degrees or at least have some skill on the side. It’s also otherwise hard to compare to other professions in terms of it being “underpaid” on paper because it has unique needs and considerations. There have been some assertions that we are paid well compared to other professionals working the same amount of hours and a few tax deductions, but again, the time “off” is typically spent on another job, lesson planning, professional develop, and continued education for the sake of what we are teaching. There are the expenses that the teacher invests in their classroom just to make sure its a good environment based on what is available to them. Otherwise, there are very few incentives to innovate depending on the school and district, and way too many opportunities for the profession to be undermined as glorified babysitting teaching students irrelevant material for the real world.

I can go on and on since the topic of education is so complicated on its own in the U.S., but I won’t go further so that we all don’t burn rubber for the sake of burning rubber.

Daylon R Thomas

Wow, my head is spinning.

Fjellrev

Right, my mom is a retired teacher, so I know the intricacies and factors involved. Simply put, after seeing the time and effort she put into her job (granted, not all teachers are nearly as devoted), and money for supplies and so on and so forth, it’s something I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole.

CrowKettle

My mother is also a retired teacher, and I second what Fjellrev says. :)

Teatotaler

“ The tea was like drinking dew on top of fresh linens near a lemon tree.” Love it! Wonderful description. I must have this tea!

Daylon R Thomas

It’s insane how many people on this site is related to teaching in one way or the other.

LuckyMe

I’m yet another person whose parent is a retired teacher. I echo everything people have mentioned above. The right school district with enough resources to support its teachers is often the deciding factor between whether teaching becomes a rewarding career or just another aggravating job. Best of luck to you as you embark on your new career Daylon!

apefuzz

Current teacher here; 12 years under my belt. I wish you the best of luck with your career. Student teaching can suck – paying someone so you can work is a bit disheartening, especially when you hear of college sophomores in business or engineering getting their first paid internship! Anyway, hang in there. If things don’t feel right, keep your options open.
In the meantime – keep enjoying quality tea!

Comments

Fjellrev

Teachers are way underpaid!

Daylon R Thomas

Wow, my head is spinning.

CrowKettle

My mother is also a retired teacher, and I second what Fjellrev says. :)

Teatotaler

LuckyMe

apefuzz

In the meantime – keep enjoying quality tea!

First Off, Current Targets:
Taiwan Sourcing Luxurious Jade Sampler (FRICKIN’ PRICEY)
Taiwan Sourcing Longhan Nectar Red Oolong

The best Alishan and or Lishan for the best price
The best Jade Oolong Period.
The best Dancong Period.

What-Cha:
Nepal Jun Chiyabari ‘Himalayan Tippy’ Black Tea
Lishan (I’m always stocking up on it)

My wish list is fairly accurate though it is broad.

Current Favorites:

Dayuling

Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co.:
“Old Style” Dong Ding

Me:

I am an MSU graduate about to become a high school social studies and history teacher. I formerly minored in anthropology, and I love Egyptian and classical history. I love to read, write, draw, paint, sculpt, fence(with a sword), workout, relax, and drink a cuppa tea…or twenty.

I’ve been drinking green and black teas ever since I was little living in Hawaii with a dominant Eastern Asian influence. I’ve come a long way since I began on steepster and now drink most teas gong fu, especially oolong. Any tea that is naturally creamy, fruity, or sweet without a lot of added flavoring ranks as a must have for me. I also love black teas and dark oolongs with the elusive “cocoa” note. My favorites are lighter Earl Greys, some white teas like What-Cha’s Kenyan offerings, most Hong-Cha’s, darker Darjeelings, almost anything from Nepal, Green Shan Lin Xi’s, and Greener Dong Dings. I’m in the process of trying Alishan’s. I also tend to really enjoy Yunnan Black or Red teas and white teas. I’m pickier with other teas like chamomile, green teas, and Masalas among several.

I used to give ratings, but now I only rate teas that have a strong impression on me. If I really like it, I’ll write it down.

I’ll enjoy a tea almost no matter what, even if the purpose is more medicinal, for it is my truest vice and addiction.

Michigan, USA