Not a bad light roast. This was the first I sampled of the Tillerman teas, and I was pleased. The notes online describe nutmeg and cinnamon in the notes, but I did not get those until the third steep after 50 sec gong fu. I was not super precise in my brewing, but I did get a 10 sec rinse in, 30 sec, 45, 50, one minute and two minutes. The first steep was vaguely floral with an orchid note, but definitely buttery and oddly drying. The second steep was much more pronounced having an overall walnut like flavor, even having a bit of dry film in the mouthfeel like a shell which was likely from the light roast. The orchid was more in the smell that time, but it was nice with a bit of a smoky aftertaste. The third steep was the best starting off with an oily butteriness that went directly into a higher floral mid sip, having a vanilla hint, but ending with a spicy nutmeg note. This was good. There was more nutmeg and roasted vegetal notes in the last two steeps making me a little bored.

I liked this one, but I am a little curious about it western. It might be better with heavier leaves gong fu, but my 14 gram sample is not super impressive to say the least, so western might be the way to go. This is daily drinker tea, and it would make a very good one because the roast is very nicely balanced with the florals in the tea. I might rate this higher, but for now, it’s an 85. I think this is more of a fall tea anyway, but I could drink it again and be totally wrong.

First Off, Current Targets:
Taiwan Sourcing Luxurious Jade Sampler (FRICKIN’ PRICEY)
Taiwan Sourcing Longhan Nectar Red Oolong

The best Alishan and or Lishan for the best price
The best Jade Oolong Period.
The best Dancong Period.

What-Cha:
Nepal Jun Chiyabari ‘Himalayan Tippy’ Black Tea
Lishan (I’m always stocking up on it)

My wish list is fairly accurate though it is broad.

Current Favorites:

Dayuling

Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co.:
“Old Style” Dong Ding

Me:

I am an MSU graduate about to become a high school social studies and history teacher. I formerly minored in anthropology, and I love Egyptian and classical history. I love to read, write, draw, paint, sculpt, fence(with a sword), workout, relax, and drink a cuppa tea…or twenty.

I’ve been drinking green and black teas ever since I was little living in Hawaii with a dominant Eastern Asian influence. I’ve come a long way since I began on steepster and now drink most teas gong fu, especially oolong. Any tea that is naturally creamy, fruity, or sweet without a lot of added flavoring ranks as a must have for me. I also love black teas and dark oolongs with the elusive “cocoa” note. My favorites are lighter Earl Greys, some white teas like What-Cha’s Kenyan offerings, most Hong-Cha’s, darker Darjeelings, almost anything from Nepal, Green Shan Lin Xi’s, and Greener Dong Dings. I’m in the process of trying Alishan’s. I also tend to really enjoy Yunnan Black or Red teas and white teas. I’m pickier with other teas like chamomile, green teas, and Masalas among several.

I used to give ratings, but now I only rate teas that have a strong impression on me. If I really like it, I’ll write it down.

I’ll enjoy a tea almost no matter what, even if the purpose is more medicinal, for it is my truest vice and addiction.

Michigan, USA