Brewed the last 5g this morning western style at slightly lower temp and untimed steeps. It became a little more medicinal in taste with a less drying mouthfeel, more silky. I figured western would not allow some of the nuances to develop, which was the case, but I didn’t expect the cheap perfume to completely overtake the liquor for all three steeps, just the first. It was a very mediocre cup.

I did some searching around last night and it looks like this is probably a 2014 harvest from Goe Tea farm, so not exactly fresh. Grown at low elevation. I’d like to try a fresher version, so I’ll be on the lookout for teas from this farm.

190 °F / 87 °C 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Mastress Alita

I bought the tea in May of 2017 at a farmer’s market, so I don’t think the harvest would’ve been that old (not saying it isn’t possible, though). It is discontinued now, so the webpage got pulled, and since I didn’t have the URL for it copied down somewhere, I couldn’t archive.org it to try to get any further info on it. When I got the tea, she did say my bag was one of the last of four of the stock she still had on hand at the time. The tea farm info is all I do still know, as the information on the farm she sourced it from is still on her website. The year of the harvest isn’t on the packaging, either. She has a different direct trade oolong now called Forever Spring, which tastes different, and I much prefer it. I’ll have to send some sometime. I’m uncertain if it also comes from Goe Tea Farm and replaced the other harvest, or if it is sourced from elsewhere. It’s still floral in taste, but doesn’t have that overwhelming perfumey quality.

derk

Thanks for the info, or lack thereof ;P

Comments

Mastress Alita

derk

Thanks for the info, or lack thereof ;P

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA