Finished up the last of the bag with cold brew and gongfu.

Cold brew 1 heaping tablespoon to 1L overnight produces a light liquor with a strong scent of tangy natural blueberry and a taste of red cherry and rose (which I didn’t pick up on in western). It is also slightly drying.

Gongfu was two sessions, 2.5-3g each session to 60mL. A few different notes I picked up this way were rose, grapefruit and purple raisin. They were pleasant gongfu sessions and I found no faults brewing that way, however I appreciate the stronger, melded flavors present in western. Brewing at 60mL allowed me to enjoy the tastes in a small amount without committing to several 8oz glasses which leave me a little cracked out.

It’s such a delightful tea that strongly reminds me of the Napa/Sonoma valley wine producing regions of California. I’d love to order more, but the energy of Chinese purple black teas is generally overwhelming for me. Still very much recommended.

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, sheng puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, GABA oolong. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog, matcha latte and golden milk.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings, just nothing cloying. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

I abandoned both my preference reference and the recording of detailed steeping parameters in January 2020, favoring a focus on qualitative descriptions. At this point, I am still comfortable toggling the “Not/Recommended” button.

Preference reference: