Moving through the teas I picked up yesterday.

3g, 60mL, 195F, flash rinse followed by 8 steeps at 10/15/20/25/30/40/50/60s.

The dry leaf smelled kind of light with notes of spinach, white floral, cream and sugarcane. The liquor started quite fragrant and was light- to medium-bodied with toasted rice, a brightness like citrus and some astringency. The second steep (lol I said belied – removed) suggested the flavors of the rest of the session with buttery toasted rice and corn, tartness, a slight metallic tone and a pretty strong aftertaste of buttery cooked peaches/apricots and generic sourness that lasts. Bottom of the cup scent of sugarcane. The astringency and tartness continued to grow to unenjoyable levels, so I cut it off after a 1-minute brew.

This was my first Mao Xie and could be my last but I’ll have no problem finishing the rest of the bag since it’s a small amount. I guess I’m just not too much a fan of rolled Chinese oolong, but somebody who appreciates their profile more than I do might also enjoy this one.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML
Bluegreen

A shout out from a fellow tea drinker who is also not the biggest fan of balled oolongs. I would still suggest trying a couple more of Hairy Crab oolongs. Some that I tried are pretty good and did not have that astringency that put you off but instead had a lot of grass and flowers with a good dose of sweetness. Mao Xies tend to be pretty inexpensive and mass-produced so encountering a disappointing one is not uncommon but the good ones are quite pleasant in their own cheerful way.

derk

I’ll try Mao Xie again if I come across a high-grade production. Unlikely?

Comments

Bluegreen

derk

I’ll try Mao Xie again if I come across a high-grade production. Unlikely?

i am tea as you are tea

Some current non-tea explorations include alto sax, powerlifting, rock climbing.

If we ever meet for tea, I will definitely smile.

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, GABA oolong, sheng and shou puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, Laoshan green. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog or matcha latte. I generally steep a tea until it has no more to give.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings. Just nothing cloying especially banana, caramel, coconut, cinnamon or maple. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

Preference reference: