I got a box from a teafriend last night, hooty hooo. Thanks Togo!

Really nice looking leaf. Unfortunately, for me this wasn’t a prelude of things to come.

I prepared this western with 3.5g, 8oz water, 175F and 2 steeps of 1m15 and 2m.

In the wet leaf after the first steep, I could smell mostly umami broth with some anise and sugar cookie or maybe it’s just an anise cookie :P The aroma of the liquor was identical which was pleasing. In the mouth, it was medium-bodied but terribly astringent and lacked much flavor. Some zucchini and nuttiness with a very faint aftertaste of buttery nuts, like macadamia. There was also a persistent tartness emanating from the throat. The second steep was nearly the same, albeit with a little more flavor including anise and some vague fruitiness. I’m not sure if it was more astringent or if the first steep totally dried my mouth out. If it had just a hint of sweetness, I’d be inclined to rate it higher. Might make a good cold brew or do well grandpa but I won’t be seeking out more in order to try.

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

i am tea as you are tea

Some current non-tea explorations include alto sax, powerlifting, rock climbing.

If we ever meet for tea, I will definitely smile.

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, GABA oolong, sheng and shou puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, Laoshan green. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog or matcha latte. I generally steep a tea until it has no more to give.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings. Just nothing cloying especially banana, caramel, coconut, cinnamon or maple. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

Preference reference: