drank Black Tea (Delight) by Stan Teahub

Here’s another one from Togo :)

Gone western. 5g, 8oz, 212F, 3 steeps at 5/5/8m.

Dry leaf is roughly processed and voluminous with a mix of whole and broken leaf, stems and a few silvery buds. Range in color from various greens to browns with a lot of reddish-purple oxidation.

Wet leaf after the first steep smelled like orange, raspberry, herbaceous with a touch of florals. The liquor had an odd aroma of squash blossom and chlorine. The taste was undefined with an herbaceous quality and floral undertones. It was sour after the sip and medium- to full-bodied. It had a kind of tingly superficial astringency.

In the second steep, the tea came to life (yay!) with an aroma of orange blossom, almond, dry warm wood and unplaced herbs. The tastes fell in line with what I was expecting of this tea: almond, walnut, orange marmalade, apricot and orange blossom with a persistent mango-apricot aftertaste. The liquor thinned a bit and some bitterness came in with a little stronger astringency.

The third steep was surprisingly similar though with a little less depth, some added warming black pepper, the bitterness moving to the back and turning into sweetness, lots of salivation and a stronger astringency. Two steeps was plenty.

I’d play around with the temperature and steep times to see if that could bring out the desired aromas and flavors in the first brew. I’m also curious about the changes in the tea as it oxidizes more. For the price that Togo said he paid, I think this is a great tea for daily drinking.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA