After reading Togo’s and Mastress Alita’s reviews, I went for a cold brew instead of hot. Ten grams of whole barley grains to a liter overnight in the fridge. The result was a very fragrant and refreshing cold drink! It had a light, coating texture and tasted on the sip like roasted grains (heh) and that turned into coffee and burnt sugar on the swallow. Lingering, pleasant aftertaste. I can see why this is so popular in the summer in Japan. Not as obviously coffee-tasting as the Lupicia Apricot Barley Tea I tried recently. I’ll have to make a stop at Yunomi for a big bag of this when I’m more comfortable with my cupboard size.

Thanks for the generous sample, Togo :)

Iced 10 g 34 OZ / 1000 ML
Mastress Alita

I prefer this more than the flavored ones I’ve tried, too. So easy to just drop a bag in a quart of cold water and leave it in the fridge overnight and have delicious iced tea for the water bottle the next day. So good!

derk

These were the bulk whole grains, not in a bag or cracked like what is shown on Yunomi’s website. I might purchase the bags since the whole grains float and quickly clog my strainer when transferring from brew jar to glass.

Mastress Alita

Ah, the ones I ordered from Yunomi came in bags, and each teabag held 10g so they are just perfect for a quart/litre of iced tea. And a bag has 20 teabags in it. Though Yunomi also sells it loose in a 300g bulk bag as well.

Comments

Mastress Alita

derk

i am tea as you are tea

Some current non-tea explorations include alto sax, powerlifting, rock climbing.

If we ever meet for tea, I will definitely smile.

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, GABA oolong, sheng and shou puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, Laoshan green. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog or matcha latte. I generally steep a tea until it has no more to give.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings. Just nothing cloying especially banana, caramel, coconut, cinnamon or maple. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

Preference reference: