This jujube leaf is remarkably similar to the one offered by Verdant Tea. The dry leaf smelled a little different but it had all the same taste notes using the same parameters with short steeps in a gaiwan at 175F. I picked up on roasted broccoli, potato skins, potato, brownies, edamame, light sweet cream, a red fruit, vanillin and a pleasant lingering sourness.

The only noteworthy difference between the two was this YS jujube was much less sweet, which I greatly appreciated. I feel like that allowed for a silkier body to come through, still reminiscent of a lightly sweetened, watered down vanilla oatmilk. This one also seemed like a better herbal replacement for green tea.

I’m definitely inclined to purchase YS’s jujube over Verdant’s, but if you like your teas super sweet like Verdant’s other Laoshan offerings, I say go for that one. I’m going to have to drop my rating on that one to compensate for how much I appreciate the lack of persistent sweetness in this YS offering.

Thanks for the pleasant nightcap, Togo.

175 °F / 79 °C 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
eastkyteaguy

I was tempted to lower my rating for Verdant’s gan zao ye myself after trying this one.

derk

little devil derk on your shoulder prods doooo iiiiit

I get the feeling you don’t respond to peer pressure.

eastkyteaguy

derk, you would be correct.

Comments

eastkyteaguy

derk

little devil derk on your shoulder prods doooo iiiiit

I get the feeling you don’t respond to peer pressure.

eastkyteaguy

derk, you would be correct.

No Sugar Added!

Tea habits:

Among my favorites are all teas Nepali, sheng puerh, Wuyi yancha, Taiwanese oolong, a variety of black (red) teas from all over, herbal tisanes. I keep a few green and white teas on hand. Shou puerh is a cold weather brew. Tiny teapots and gaiwans are my usual brewing vessels when not preparing morning cups western style and pouring into my work thermos. Friend of teabags.

Sonoma County, California, USA