drank Sage Cretan Tea by VIOS

A final herbal tea to transition out of a stressful day.

I had never drank pure sage tea before because I suspected I might be allergic to it. Being near smoldering sage sends me into sneezing fits and makes me feel ill for hours. However, I seem to be able to ingest it in small amounts in cooking without issue and in tea blends.

I was hesitant to try pure sage in tea form but I drank it with no adverse reaction and quite enjoyed it. It was a little sweet and obviously tasted of sage, a bit woody and earthy. There was some scratchiness in my throat and also a cooling quality in my mouth that was light and maybe different from the usual menthol encountered in other herbs.

The tea had an ethereal quality and produced the senses of heady elevation and cleansing for which sage smudge sticks are known. As I said before, burning sage sickens me, so I’m glad I was able to experience the pure herb in tea form. I suppose this one is a little special since it comes from my uncle’s land of Crete.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Mastress Alita

I’ve never had a plain sage tea… I have a big bag of sage that I use to make a hair rinse, and the smell is so strong when I’m steeping it and disposing of the leaves that it is staggering, so I don’t think I’d be able to handle drinking it. I have found I like it mixed into blends though, since I had a blend with a rather generous amount of fenugreek and sage recently and I quite liked the taste of that.

Comments

Mastress Alita

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

Sonoma County, California, USA