So I didn’t take tasting notes because I used this tea to fuel me through finishing a university application due tonight. But dang is this a well-balanced yancha. Deep red liquor, aromas, flavors, mouthfeel, returning sweetness, energy all kind of made for the perfect beverage to calm myself down and tell a bunch of strangers why they should accept me into their program. If you want a good idea of the flavors, check out eastkyteaguy’s and oceanica’s reviews for the 2016 harvest, though this 2017 is a bit different. I remember noticing a pronounced thickness, too, which I’ve never experienced in yancha.

Oh, I even talked about tea on my application because the school I applied to tonight, UC Davis, has a program called the Global Tea Initiative that I’m interested in contributing to. Check it out: https://globaltea.ucdavis.edu/

I really dug this Reserve Fo Shou and want more. It’s definitely the smoothest wuyi oolong sample I ordered from Verdant and it’s definitely out of my price range :( but I’ll be on the lookout for this cultivar in the future. (I also enjoyed Verdant’s regular Fo Shou.)

Boiling 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Nattie

Good luck with the application!

Comments

Nattie

Good luck with the application!

Always up for a trade. I keep an updated cupboard. Check it out. Don’t be shy. Message me if you want to try something :)

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, sheng and shou puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, Laoshan green. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes. I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog or matcha latte. I generally steep a tea until it has no more to give.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings. Just nothing cloying especially banana, caramel, coconut, cinnamon or maple.

Preference reference:

100-90: A tea I can lose myself into. Something about it makes me slow down and appreciate not only the tea but all of life or a moment in time.
89-80: Fits my profile well enough to buy again.
69-60: Won’t buy again.
59-1: Lacking several elements, has off flavors, lacks flavor, or something about it makes me not want to finish.

San Francisco, California, USA