I took a road trip this weekend down to Monterey as a reunion of sorts with the other two lady coworkers. The one who still lives in the Bay Area was kind to pick me up in San Francisco on her way down from the East Bay. We took the coastal route, Highway 1, and stopped for lunch at a Mayan restaurant in a house called Cafe Capistrano in Half Moon Bay. I had a killer meal of cochinita pibil and a mug of this tea.

The tea was not so good. I mean, it was good enough but not what I was expecting from a Chai Spice tea. In a 16oz mug, 1 bag produced a cup tasting purely of moderately spicy cinnamon oil (almost artificial like red hots) and clove. The ginger and cardamom were nowhere to be found. I think brewing this in a smaller amount of water would make an overwhelming cinnamon tea. The black tea base added some body but I couldn’t taste it. I am happy that the restaurant provided a decent selection of bagged teas in a basket and that I wasn’t served Lipton.

5 min, 0 sec 16 OZ / 473 ML
Tabby

16 ounces seems like a lot for one bag…

derk

I know… I like my brews stronger but the waitress gave me a mug of hot water instead of a pot and there was only 1 bag of this. I’m actually grateful the tea was diluted since the cinnamon red hot flavor overrode everything else.

Mastress Alita

I’m fairly certain I’ve had this one before, and felt the same about it… like it tasted overwhelmingly strongly of clove and that artificial cinnamon taste and I really didn’t like it.

Comments

Tabby

16 ounces seems like a lot for one bag…

derk

Mastress Alita

Tea Habits:

Among my favorites are sheng puerh, Taiwanese oolong, a variety of black (red) teas from all over, all teas Nepali, herbals, Wuyi yancha. I keep a few green and white teas on hand. Shou puerh is a cold weather brew. Tiny teapots and gaiwans are my usual brewing vessels when not preparing morning cups western style and pouring into my work thermos. Friend of teabags. Hold the milk and sugar unless we’re talking masala chai.

In my late teens, home-brewed unsweetened Lipton iced tea was the drink of choice to combat cottonmouth. The following years saw the appearance of the odd box of tea from Trader Joe’s. About 4 years ago, walking out of the parking garage where I kept my motorcycle, I came across a move-out dumpster treasure: single serve packets of what I can look back now and say was Wuyi yancha. Yes, I drank dumpstered tea and honestly, that’s what blew the doors wide open.

Preference Reference
“That’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

89-80: Fits my profile well enough to buy again. Some could be great daily drinkers.

59-1: Lacking several elements, strangely clunky, possesses off flavors/aroma/texture or something about it makes me not want to finish.

Character Rundown:

Boring pandemic hermit whose only current hobbies besides tasting tea are skateboarding and learning herbalism. Will update as the times change.

Sonoma County, California, USA