Here’s another Christmas tea, the tasting of this cut short.

Gone gaiwan: 7g, 100mL, 212F, rinse plus 8 steeps at 20/15/20/25/30/35/45/75s.

Dry: fishy, chocolate
Rinse: chocolate, baked bread, fish disappeared
First 5 steeps: tasted a lot like a chocolate truffle filled with a little bit of blueberry/raspberry liqueur, baked bread, savory, mellow bitterness, salty. Turned into… another reviewer mentioned bourbon cask and vanilla — I think that’s an excellent description.
Sixth steep: floral
Seventh and eighth: additions of mushroom and leather.

The tea delivered heavy, strong notes for longer than expected. By 75s, it lightened significantly but I think it could be pushed hard to continue delivering a tasty brew. Thanks to Togo, I’ll be on the lookout for this one. A very satisfying shou that transformed nicely throughout the unfortunately short session.

I just realized I finally made it through all the teas in the Great Togo Teaswap. What a great way to try so many different teas, especially puerh.

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Togo

This one sold out, but the 2013 vesion is almost the same. In fact, I first sampled the 2013 one, based on which I decided to get a cake. However, the 2012 was on sale at some point so I got that instead :D

And yeah, I totally agree the tea swap was a great success. We should do it again at some point in the future ;)

derk

Thanks for the info.

I already have some packaged up for you. I admit I was anticipating another swap ;)

Comments

Togo

derk

Thanks for the info.

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, GABA oolong, sheng and shou puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, Laoshan green. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog or matcha latte. I generally steep a tea until it has no more to give.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings. Just nothing cloying especially banana, caramel, coconut, cinnamon or maple. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

Preference reference: