Curious concept, a GABA oolong cake.

Dry leaf aromas of violet (strongest), red grapes, brown sugar. Warmed and rinsed leaf present baked bread, buttery grape jelly, violet, baked cherries and berries, fresh blueberry, orchid, brown toast, wood.

Brewed 3 ways:

1) Gongfu. Zee best. 5g, 100mL porcelain teapot, 200F, great longevity.

Thick and oily, coats the whole mouth. Tasted like cinnamon raisin brown toast, highly mineral plus salivation, tangy, ridiculously smooth. Consistent in character until the end. Later turns nutty and woody, a bit salty with a light bite in the throat. Liquor develops a neat purple hue. Very content energy. Rating: 87

2) Grandpa. I like. 2g, 8oz, 200F, 5! top-offs.

Thick, full-bodied, roasty-toasty, floral grape, raisin, wood, sweet lemon tartness, still lots of salivation. Leads into dried fruit flavors of sour cherries and berries. Rating 85.

3) Thermos. Basically stewed about 9 hours. 2.5g, 20oz, 200F.

Tastes like a highly mineral shou. Toasty, thick, salty-umami, sometimes strong notes of rye. Not bad. Rating 77.

Average: 83

Maybe worth buying a small cake for Sheetz und Kegels. I mean, I haven’t seen a GABA cake around. This is an opportunity to see how it holds up over the long term. What’s the purpose? Ease of storage like a shou cake? It’s already highly oxidized and there aren’t strong roast notes so I doubt it would transform much. Would make an excellent fall/winter tea.

Song pairing, I’m going to refrain from linking but it’s Milli Vanilli — Girl You Know It’s True
Lord, why.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Berries, Blueberry, Brown Sugar, Brown Toast, Butter, Cherry, Dried Fruit, Floral, Grapes, Jam, Lemon, Mineral, Nutty, Orchid, Raisins, Rye, Salty, Smooth, Tangy, Thick, Toasty, Umami, Violet, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C
Kittenna

This is intriguing! I will not go look at TTC’s site….

LuckyMe

Ah, I haven’t heard that song in ages. Milli Vanilli used to be a guilty pleasure. I have a thing for one hit wonders.

tea-sipper

Awesome experimental tasting note and interesting flavors!

Comments

Kittenna

This is intriguing! I will not go look at TTC’s site….

LuckyMe

tea-sipper

Awesome experimental tasting note and interesting flavors!

i am tea as you are tea

Some current non-tea explorations include alto sax, powerlifting, rock climbing.

If we ever meet for tea, I will definitely smile.

Trades are on hold until I work through a bunch!

[Always up for a trade. I keep an updated cupboard. Check it out. Don’t be shy. Message me if you want to try something :)]

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, sheng and shou puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, Laoshan green. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog or matcha latte. I generally steep a tea until it has no more to give.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings. Just nothing cloying especially banana, caramel, coconut, cinnamon or maple. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

Preference reference: