Honestly, I can’t smell anything or taste much right now. It’s actually a great time to focus on the general impression of a puerh and the way it feels in my mouth and body rather than my default mode which is to get lost in tastes.

Despite my schnoz not working well, I am able to pick up on aged puerh smell and forest floor in the rinsed leaf along with yeasty and bready qualities. The liquor has an oily thickness to it that when combined with a general tartness and minerality gives the impression of a lighter-bodied tea. Seems like it might taste of tobacco. The initial infusions feel great going down my throat and leave a thin and cooling camphor coating. There is also a bit of throat drying early on along with slight bitterness that does grow stronger but it is complementary. A light returning sweetness presents, seems date-like but combines with the back of the tongue bitterness to give a bittersweet lingering. I do notice some roughness and numbing of the tongue.

The energy is notable for me in the regard that it gives me a general sense of well being and positivity and it makes me dance. I much prefer this feeling to heady teas since I’m always thinking anyway.

On that note:
Album pairing: Paul Simon - Graceland, found in my housemate’s record collection

This is a solid aged sheng, one I could see keeping as a daily drinker.

Boiling 7 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
Martin Bednář

Get well soon!

Thanks, it’s a mild cold

Leafhopper

Hope you feel better!

mrmopar

Indeed, get over that cold.

gmathis

I remember hearing the Graceland album for the first time and being totally blown away by the crazy wonderful mix-match of instrumentation :)

derk

Thanks y’all. Hopefully today was the worst of it. Dang was I grumpy!

gmathis: It was the first time I listened to Graceland. I didn’t expect the album that contained “You Can Call Me Al” to have that range of instrumentation and influences!

Regarding this tea, I’m still working on the teapot from yesterday after a short rinse to wake up the leaves again. The liquor is still oily but the texture has morphed from thick into what a lot of reviews mention as fluffy/marshmallowy. What I can taste does fall in line with a marshmallow sweetness, nutty. I think I’m currently somewhere around 10 long steeps. The flow of this teapot is slow, around 12-15 seconds but I enjoy what pours from it :)

Comments

Martin Bednář

Get well soon!

Thanks, it’s a mild cold

Leafhopper

Hope you feel better!

mrmopar

Indeed, get over that cold.

gmathis

derk

Thanks y’all. Hopefully today was the worst of it. Dang was I grumpy!

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, GABA oolong, sheng and shou puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, Laoshan green. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog or matcha latte. I generally steep a tea until it has no more to give.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings. Just nothing cloying especially banana, caramel, coconut, cinnamon or maple. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

Preference reference: