June 2019 harvest, January 2020 grind

I am inexperienced with matcha. No sieve, no scoop, no bowl. My only tool is a bamboo whisk. It’s like when I started gongfu brewing and was using a mason jar to brew in and a fork to strain the leaves as I poured the tea into another mason jar. I got good results that way. In the same manner, I feel like I’m getting good results with matcha using only the whisk and a glass condiment bowl. Frothy and smooth, silky, always in suspension.

I preferred using water off the boil instead of water temperature as low as 150?F. Off the boil produced a more deeply aromatic cup and more bitterness. The taste seemed earthy, almost like cacao, with a deep and dark grassy umami. The sip was semi-sweet moving to a fast, spreading bitterness on the swallow.

The experience of drinking matcha is a big adjustment to my palate. I couldn’t pick up any nuances in flavor. I still so greatly enjoyed the 25g over only a week that I ordered another 100g. This matcha was really a perfect morning drink. The taste was bracing enough to wake up my senses and it was surprisingly kind on my stomach. I barely noticed the caffeine buzz because it was so dang smooth and long-lasting. That’s what really drew me into consuming the entirety of the bag so quickly.

Flavors: Cacao, Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Grass, Moss, Umami

Nattie

Impressive creativity! The tools aren’t necessary, they just make things easier. (:

Kawaii433

That sounds so good, derk. I have been looking for more matcha too.

derk

Kawaii433, I ordered 100g which comes as 4-25g packets. If you don’t want to wait for shipping from England (my order last month took I think 2 weeks to arrive), I’d be happy to mail you a packet.

CrowKettle

It’s been a long time since I’ve had matcha; I don’t even have a whisk anymore! I impulsively ordered some of this last week though so find your review timely :)

Comments

Nattie

Kawaii433

That sounds so good, derk. I have been looking for more matcha too.

derk

CrowKettle

Most enjoyment:

I prefer straight loose-leaf and compressed tea, teabags for ease of use and herbal teas/tisanes. My favorite teas come from all over including China, Taiwan, Nepal, Darjeeling, Thailand, Vietnam, Japan and Georgia. The only one that doesn’t do much for me is Ceylon.

I abandoned my preference reference in early 2020, favoring a focus on qualitative description and because everybody uses a different rating scale. I’m still comfortable toggling the ‘Not/Recommended’ button.

Preference reference:

Some things about me:

Endless curiosity and fascination have led me to wear many hats. Stubbornness and naivety have led me down dark paths. The restlessness isn’t improving with age but at least at 37, I’m finally aware of my nature. I have high physical energy and love being around people but am easily exhausted. My most recent caricature is that of an environmental engineering masters dropout working in retail electrical sales. An impatient woman with a knack for making stupid decisions, a lover of Jesus, science, art, beauty and language who happens to ride a motorcycle and bicycle, dabbles in sax, wields a chainsaw and drinks tea out of tiny pots. They call me “Trouble”.

Sonoma County, California, USA