I’m supposed to be making carnitas.

Right now, this sheng has me kicked back in my chair with my feet on the bed. I’m transported back to Akron, in the old house, winter. Living room, French doors closed, wood-burning stove roaring, tomato soup bubbling away on top, the sound of Skyward Sword in the background. Cocooned in a blanket. My ears are burning from the heat. So drowsy and comfortable, that feeling as you succumb to the fading in of sleep, reality slowly stipples away at your periphery, defocusing your gaze, the fire crackles, eyelids lower, dreamtime seamlessly folds over the diminishing edges of this moment. I think about the wrapping of a puer cake, everything points to the beenghole. A nice package.

It’s difficult to describe the actual tea when the qi is so distinctive. This is very close in profile to the 2016 Bang Wai Gu Cha I tried last night. Much less sweet, which I prefer, more balanced, spicier, brighter. Good returning sweetness and longer lasting, more distinctive fruity peach-mango-apricot aftertaste. The oiliness isn’t as pronounced but it’s felt later lining my tongue. Not yet sure about longevity. Very nice for a young one and arguably worth the tenths of a cent more per gram :P Might cake. Can’t go wrong at $0.14/g. Edit: Will cake this weekend. Please don’t buy them out.

I’m having deja vu. I’ve typed this note before.

Flavors: Apricot, Bitter, Brown Sugar, Camphor, Drying, Floral, Flowers, Mango, Metallic, Peach, Plums, Raisins, Rice, Smooth, Spicy, Straw, Strawberry, Toffee, Wood

Boiling 7 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
derk

2.5 hours later and I still haven’t made carnitas. Instead I spent that time derking around the Pu’er Woo-wooniverse, trying to type up crackpot romantic comparisons of beengs and beengholes to conceptual themes such as art and science, creation, compression, pressure and transformation. Something about dark underbellies, velvety spermatic leaf weaving over and under and in between, feeding frenzies. Holy crap I feel absolutely rejuvenated.

puerh, pu’erh, pu-erh, puer, pu’er but never pu-er
whatever

Martin Bednář

Now I want carnitas. And this pu-erh.

Nattie

Your description had me falling asleep and wishing for winter! Sounds like bliss.

ashmanra

I don’t know what a carnita is!

ashmanra: falling apart Mexican braised pork

Comments

derk

puerh, pu’erh, pu-erh, puer, pu’er but never pu-er
whatever

Martin Bednář

Now I want carnitas. And this pu-erh.

Nattie

ashmanra

I don’t know what a carnita is!

ashmanra: falling apart Mexican braised pork

Most enjoyment:

I prefer straight loose-leaf and compressed tea, teabags for ease of use and herbal teas/tisanes. My favorite teas come from all over including China, Taiwan, Nepal, Darjeeling, Thailand, Vietnam, Japan and Georgia. The only one that doesn’t do much for me is Ceylon.

I abandoned my preference reference in early 2020, favoring a focus on qualitative description and because everybody uses a different rating scale. I’m still comfortable toggling the ‘Not/Recommended’ button.

Preference reference:

Some things about me:

Endless curiosity and fascination have led me to wear many hats. Stubbornness and naivety have led me down dark paths. The restlessness isn’t improving with age but at least at 37, I’m finally aware of my nature. I have high physical energy and love being around people but am easily exhausted. My most recent caricature is that of an environmental engineering masters dropout working in retail electrical sales. An impatient woman with a knack for making stupid decisions, a lover of Jesus, science, art, beauty and language who happens to ride a motorcycle and bicycle, dabbles in sax, wields a chainsaw and drinks tea out of tiny pots. They call me “Trouble”.

Sonoma County, California, USA