“Trip to Changtai, vol. 6”

Taking trip another way, I just faceplanted into a puddle of pond-stewed decayed wood and leaves. I swallowed a few mouthfuls and picked up camphor. The camphor alone kept me going for a few more steeps. I just couldn’t let myself lie in that puddle, so I did what you do when you think somebody nearby has glanced your folly. Get up, nonchalantly look around and brush yourself off. And dump the leaves in the compost.

It oversteeps really well, though, and pours very dark and a bit murky.

Looks like it’s Jinggu material. Now I have one point of reference for how Jinggu teas age. Don’t much care for Jinggu to begin with.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Bitter, Black Pepper, Bread, Camphor, Decayed Wood, Forest Floor, Nuts, Peas, Smoke, Spicy, Tangy, Vegetal, Yeast

mrmopar

This one was pretty wet stored for sure.

Natethesnake

I’ve only had one semi aged Jinggu, 10yr and it is rather meh but I have had a few young Jinggu teas that I really like, Long tang and Da Qing by YS and boundless by EOT (which I suspect is Jinggu) My gripe with these teas is they lose their character quickly, like in a year. I recently got a sample of 03 jinggu that I plan to try soon.

tea123

Mine reminds me of lapsang souchong with a constant pine smoke. Hopefully it just needs rest as i don’t care for the flavour right now.

Comments

mrmopar

This one was pretty wet stored for sure.

Natethesnake

tea123

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA