drank Laponic December 25, White by THEODOR

What is Laponic? I don’t know. A made-up French word?

Here’s a tin of tea, the last from a long-ago swap with ashmanra. Why did I not try this last holiday season?

This tea evokes many memories of my first job at 15, a wrap we made, specifically the pinto beans we put in it. The tea’s not at all beany, though. Basil is the strongest note for me, dried, savory. Cedar flavor provides a cool, woodsy tone. The blackberry leaf is very mellow in its flavor and sweetness. The base white tea is also mellow and slightly vegetal. There’s a very light tang I think provided by the berries.

Gentle tea, rejuvenating like a light broth. I like it. It reminds me also of Ohio and hiking in late fall through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Forest understory, maybe? Hemlock growing in secret locations atop sandstone ledges, narrow, silvery waterfalls disappearing down beech ravines, brambles lining meadows. God, Ohio has some modest beauty.

Whatever Laponic means, it’s a comforting, gentle tea to have on Christmas day as the rain falls in straight lines from the low, grey sky.

Merry Christmas :)

Flavors: Broth, Cedar, Forest Floor, Herbaceous, Herbs, Sweet, Tangy, Vegetal, Wet Rocks

White Antlers

I may be wrong, but I think the word means referring to/related to Lapland. In light of the notes you wrote, that would make sense.

ashmanra

Merry Christmas! And I am glad you enjoyed it!

Cameron B.

Merry Christmas, to you and Kiki too!

Martin Bednář

White Antlers is correct. Lapland is an area in Finland, partially Sweden, Norway and Russia. Unfortuantely I haven’t been there; but I would like to one day. And this tea sounds just amazing. And somehow indeed Nordic to me. I wonnder why basil though; but somehow… it just reminds me Finland. Maybe it’s the Laponic?

White Antlers

Martin I want to visit Lapland, too. I have been fascinated by the Sami people and their culture for decades. Perhaps we’ll have a tea meeting there someday!

gmathis

I’m dreaming of a wet Christmas? The better to stay in and sip with!

derk

Let’s meet in Lapland, please!

Martin Bednář

That would be awesome experience :D Steepster Meet in Lapland!

eastkyteaguy

I’m pretty sure that a Laponic is a cocktail comprising equal parts gin, kahlua, cognac, and light rum that is garnished with lemon.

White Antlers

eastkyteaguy-It’s both; the drink you described and also referring to or relating to Lapland.

Comments

White Antlers

ashmanra

Merry Christmas! And I am glad you enjoyed it!

Cameron B.

Merry Christmas, to you and Kiki too!

gmathis

I’m dreaming of a wet Christmas? The better to stay in and sip with!

derk

Let’s meet in Lapland, please!

Martin Bednář

That would be awesome experience :D Steepster Meet in Lapland!

eastkyteaguy

White Antlers

Eventual tea farmer. If you are a tea grower, want to grow your own plants or are simply curious, please follow me so we can chat.

I most enjoy loose-leaf, unflavored teas and tisanes. Always on the lookout for teas from countries and regions not commonly known for tea production or those that are not well represented in the western market. I seek these teas to gain an understanding, however vague, of how this plant performs in different climates.

bicycle bicycle bicycle