drank Mint Chocolate Chai by Cuppa Geek

derk:

Smells like somebody dropped an Andes mint into dirty chai (chai with a shot of espresso), tastes kinda like a dirty chocolate chai or mexican hot chocolate but with a green tea taste and body. It sips like thin peppermint chocolate that moves into a clean, mineral-dry grass base green tea mid-mouth, then with the swallow, it’s again like that Andes mint dropped in a dirty chai.  I can taste cloves – strongly – but I personally think it’s in good proportion to the chocolate.  I taste a good amount of cardamom, too (I get Turkish cardamom coffee vibes!); a hint of orange zest, no ginger.   The peppermint is clean and cooling in the mouth, but overall the tea is very drying.  Interesting! and kind of true to the name. I like it but it’s just so drying. There’s potential with this blend. Wish I had some koulourakia to dip. It’s your basic Greek butter cookie that people have with coffee.

Kiki:

“Hmmmm.  Is that clooove? hehehe  It smells like some Greek cookies baking in the oven. sips, does a double take HA!! that was a surprise! ooh.  It kinda smells like some incense.  Yeah that’s a surprise!  Am I getting a little chocolate in taste, some carob or something?  I’m getting the clove flavor – numbs your mouth.  Smells like my grandma’s medicine cabinet.  Is it carob and peppermint?  I get like a Tootsie Pop, uh chocolate pop and then a c-cool one.  Maybe it’s mint chocolate, I dunno.”

For the record, the package I received was labelled Mint Chocolate Chip with less ingredients but it’s definitely the Mint Chocolate Chai on the website.

Flavors: Artificial, Candy, Cardamom, Chocolate, Clove, Coffee, Cookie, Dry Grass, Drying, Earth, Medicinal, Mineral, Orange Zest, Peppermint

Martin Bednář

Great comparison!

Comments

Martin Bednář

Great comparison!

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA