drank Lu Shan Yun Wu Green Tea by Teavivre

2016 harvest, sealed sample packet from Leafhopper!

Dry leaf is pungent! chestnut, cacao, an impression of cherry pie filling. The look of it reminds me of Laoshan green. I’ve had this as mini-bowl tea 1g:100mL and teapot 2g:190mL, 3/4min. Prefer the bowl.

Let’s see… lemony, roasted chestnut, pan-fried green beans for sure, steamed escarole, gentle floral-powdered sugar high note, underlying umami. Vegetal, salty-nutty-brothy-sweet ending brisk and tart with a light bitterness on the swallow. Aftertaste is at first metallic, turning into a salted citrus rind tingle then apricot to a subtle impression of violet and lavender.

It’s not extremely vegetal or too robust, has a range of flavors that are well rounded. Pretty dang good for 5 years old.

Flavors: Apricot, Astringent, Bitter, Broth, Cacao, Cherry, Chestnut, Citrus Zest, Floral, Green Beans, Lavender, Lemon, Lettuce, Metallic, Nutty, Powdered Sugar, Salty, Sweet, Tart, Umami, Vegetal, Violet

White Antlers

I initially read this ‘turning into a salted citrus rind tingle…’ as ‘turning into a salted circus ring tingle,’ and said to myself-Damn! derk has really outdone herself with this tea note!!! Needless to say, I was most disappointed upon re-reading. Ah! The joys of dyslexia.

derk

Hehe. Now I feel compelled to come up with an absolutely batty note.

White Antlers

Oh, I don’t think you make notes up. It was fun to take a break from scrubbing the floors, drink seltzer and try to imagine if you were tasting peanuts, sawdust, cotton candy, grease paint, tiger dander, high wire sweat, clown wig fibres or a combination of all of those.

derk

and the pungency of hungover carnies.

eastkyteaguy

There’s nothing like the pungency of hungover carnies. I love the way the combined scents of cheap cigarettes, sweat, body odor, horse manure, deep fried twinkies, malt liquor, unwashed clothing, crystal meth, and bottom shelf vodka just roll off of them as they emerge from their carnival trailers into the July heat. It’s magical.

derk

That was a real LOL I did there.

derk

I think one of my aunt’s was a local carnie for a minute.

Martin Bednář

I am thinking how tastes salted citrus rinds; never had it!. And all others comments me laugh; much needed!

White Antlers

eastkyteaguy-That was an absolutely stunning and spot on sensory picture!

Leafhopper

Derk, I almost didn’t include those green tea samples because they were so old. Glad you’re getting something out of them.

Eastkyteaguy, your comment made me laugh!

tea-sipper

Tasting note and comments on a roll here. I think my Laoshan is about five years old by now…

gmathis

I was just thinking this tea sounds like its own buffet.

derk

Yeh, Leafhopper, I was surprised. No worries, I try anything that lands in my cupboard through the kindness of others :)

gmathis

Now that you mention it, I really do have circus in my DNA! My great aunt and uncle weren’t performers, but were on kitchen and setup crew, traveling on a real circus train. Wish I knew more. I was an afterthought, a decade behind elder siblings, and by then, I guess it was just assumed everyone had already heard all the good family stories.

gmathis

Moral to you young’uns: WRITE THIS STUFF DOWN. IN A BOOK. WITH REAL PAGES. THAT WILL NOT BECOME OBSOLETE TECHNOLOGY.

tea-sipper

That is awesome, gmathis (but not awesome they skipped the stories with you.)

gmathis

(rocking chair creaking) Pull up a chair, honey, and I’ll tell you about how Grandpa won the money for Grandma’s wedding china in a craps game in the attic of their unfinished house and hauled it back from the train in the buckboard…

tea-sipper

:D I had to look up buckboard.

DrowningMySorrows

I don’t think there were any circus folk in my family but there are definitely some stories I wish I knew more about. Certain family members were considered embarrassments for things nobody would bat an eye at now and asking anything about them would get you a “don’t shake the family tree, a bunch of nuts will fall out.”

Comments

White Antlers

derk

Hehe. Now I feel compelled to come up with an absolutely batty note.

derk

and the pungency of hungover carnies.

eastkyteaguy

derk

That was a real LOL I did there.

derk

I think one of my aunt’s was a local carnie for a minute.

Martin Bednář

White Antlers

eastkyteaguy-That was an absolutely stunning and spot on sensory picture!

Leafhopper

Eastkyteaguy, your comment made me laugh!

gmathis

I was just thinking this tea sounds like its own buffet.

tea-sipper

That is awesome, gmathis (but not awesome they skipped the stories with you.)

tea-sipper

:D I had to look up buckboard.

DrowningMySorrows

Tea Habits:

Among my favorites are sheng puerh, Taiwanese oolong, a variety of black (red) teas from all over, all teas Nepali, herbals, Wuyi yancha. I keep a few green and white teas on hand. Shou puerh is a cold weather brew. Tiny teapots and gaiwans are my usual brewing vessels when not preparing morning cups western style and pouring into my work thermos. Friend of teabags. Hold the milk and sugar unless we’re talking masala chai.

In my late teens, home-brewed unsweetened Lipton iced tea was the drink of choice to combat cottonmouth. The following years saw the appearance of the odd box of tea from Trader Joe’s. About 4 years ago, walking out of the parking garage where I kept my motorcycle, I came across a move-out dumpster treasure: single serve packets of what I can look back now and say was Wuyi yancha. Yes, I drank dumpstered tea and honestly, that’s what blew the doors wide open.

Preference Reference

89-80: Fits my profile well enough to buy again. Some could be great daily drinkers.

59-1: Lacking several elements, strangely clunky, possesses off flavors/aroma/texture or something about it makes me not want to finish.

Character Rundown:

Boring pandemic hermit whose only current hobbies besides tasting tea are skateboarding and learning herbalism. Will update as the times change.

Sonoma County, California, USA